tillotson 212 billet flywheel installed ran for a bit and now only pops a few times

vegetable

i have a tilly 212 on which i just installed a billet flywheel, it ran great for a few lapd around my yard before dying and unable to be restarted. every time i try to restart it, all it does is run for a half second and then immediately die. if i get throttle on it, it backfires through the carb and smokes through the air filter before dying. it seemsike the ignition timing went off while riding but im not sure because it was running perfectly fine before

When you installed the new billet flywheel was the flywheel nut torqued to the proper specifications? (ft/lbs with a torque wrench) If not, and was not tightened enough it may have loosened which caused a sheared (or at least partially sheared) flywheel key that will effect the timing. For a bit of "extra insurance" some guys will also lap the flywheel to the crank end with some valve grinding compound before installing the flywheel key and the flywheel.
Michael

Last edited:

vegetable

When you installed the new billet flywheel was the flywheel nut torqued to the proper specifications? (ft/lbs with a torque wrench) If not, and was not tightened enough it may have loosened which caused a sheared (or at least partially sheared) flywheel key that will effect the timing. For a bit of "extra insurance" some guys will also lap the flywheel to the crank end with some valve grinding compound before installing the flywheel key and the flywheel.
Michael
that may be the case, i just tightened it down with an impact since i dont have a crankshaft stop at all. I did lap my flywheel before i installed it onto the shaft, but what can I use to stop my crank to torque down the nut?

vegetable

An impact can split a flywheel you should torque it to 60 Ft lbs.
i hope i didnt split my flywheel, it seems like the nut wasnt torqued correctly and sheared my key so that might mean i didnt tighten it down enough? what should I use to stop the crankshaft from moving so i can correctly torque it down?

Never EVER use an impact tool to install a flywheel (OK for removal only).
As for ways to keep the crank from turning when you torque it down,,,
"Youtube" and "Google" are your friends!
Michael

SAS289

Michael
Michael
Yes. A lot of us make our own crankshaft holding tool. I even made a flywheel puller for my PVL flywheel. I use a quick blip with the air hammer for stock flywheels.