Tilting engine?

I have a Sears Bird Duck frame that I am hoping will be my next project once I get my Harrison Wildcat done. I was wondering if it would be safe to tilt the engine forward so it looks more like a motorcycle setup? I have a few Tecumseh h60's and a Briggs 3.5hp that are likely candidates. Will the valve train get enough oil? I know Rupp roadsters were like that just don't know what degree is safe?

WrenchDad

I have a bird Thunderbird it is original with a Tec. HS4hp that is mounted on a slant The only differance that I'm aware of is the intake. And it does have the longer oil fill tube but I'm assuming that is to facilitate checking and filling.

jrzmac

you can try something like this too:

it's a peice of aluminum cut at a 20* angle. to level out the carb

Hamlin57 is the member who made them a while back. done know if he's around anymore though.

markus

when you decide on an engine see if you can find factory specs for what the manufacturer deemed safe for the angle. Fox was the first to do it in the mini bike world in 1969 with the small block tecs, they set the plate right up to what tec deemed "safe" IIRC, so Tec made the proper dipstick and later designed the tilted intake so they could run the float bowl carbs.

Maybe with the big block look at what the kart guys ran them at, same would go for the briggs I would imagine, but they ran the 5 so maybe compare dippers

KB2ROCKET

I have a Rupp sprint that came stock this way it is not ideal for the carb or lubracation but I have never heard of a engine having problems because of it
the trick is to always be going up hill :laugh: