Torque Converter Blues

Relatively new install of a Series 30 on a heavy machine. One of my riders told me the the driven pulley is not moving. The driver only enough to propel the machine. This is happening at about 2800rpm engine speed max. Driven spring is in hole #1 and unit does move completely when free-wheeled. Likewise, driver also moves full travel during free-wheeling.

Need to get on track with what is at play here- is it driven-to-jackshaft ratio that might be holding the TC back from proper operation or is it the secondary drive ratio or both or neither? I'm burnt-out on thinking about this and need some help.

pomfish

Is the Torque Converter a one piece unit or separate Driven on jackshaft?
If separate check belt alignment, these things are very sensitive to that. Also belt length is important.
HTH
Let's see some pics that would help the best.
Later,
Keith

Squeezed? Is the center to center distance correct for the belt? A 6" opposed to a 7" driven will "squeeze" differently. Too long and that driven wont open.

pomfish

Relatively new install of a Series 30 on a heavy machine. One of my riders told me the the driven pulley is not moving. The driver only enough to propel the machine. This is happening at about 2800rpm engine speed max. Driven spring is in hole #1 and unit does move completely when free-wheeled. Likewise, driver also moves full travel during free-wheeling.

Need to get on track with what is at play here- is it driven-to-jackshaft ratio that might be holding the TC back from proper operation or is it the secondary drive ratio or both or neither? I'm burnt-out on thinking about this and need some help.
All right, try running the bike with the rear wheel off the ground, no load on it, and see if the driven operates properly then.
If it does then you probably are correct about the final gearing being too high.
One other thing could be the belt is on backwards.

All right, try running the bike with the rear wheel off the ground, no load on it, and see if the driven operates properly then.
If it does then you probably are correct about the final gearing being too high.
One other thing could be the belt is on backwards.
As already mentioned, "freewheeling" the unit checks out A-OK. Both units do what they are designed to do. Either 5:1 or 7.5:1 makes no difference- still little to no action out of the driven.

Tink

Guys, thanks for your suggestions. Going in a different direction and will abandon the torque converter idea. Right on paper, wrong for this machine.
Almost need a camera on it for a road test.
I peek at mine , but up near full speed it is not safe or comfortable to be doing...besides I am not really seeing it close up or watching gradual change throughout acceleration/R.P.M. increase.
When watching it from low to mid range at least with brief looks it does not seem to be doing much ,but performance wise I'm still boogieing right along just fine.
With proper belt and installation my temptation would be to give it an Italian tune up and check the belt after,assuming bike performance is acceptable.

Nothing at all wrong with the torque converter or engine per se. TC operates fine in freewheel mode and engine is new.

The issue is with gearing and that's something I cannot change so easily on this particular machine. TC will go to a good home elsewhere.

Tink

With that said, what is your gearing on that trike?
Ummm...don't quote me ,I'm looking at a review article the forum member I acquired the tryke from gave me with about 3 less horsepower (at eight ponies) , but it shows a 9 tooth on jackshaft , 60 tooth on axle.
Engine to jackshaft ratio of 4.44:1.
Drive ratio of torque converter somewhere's around 19.9:1 low to 6.6:1 high.

Last edited:

Tink

Oh it does, just the monkey holding the bars doesn't want to twist and look over the seat when motating along..:updown:

Performance is great. Just have not noticed much going on with the driven during quick peeks . A more subtle action is all compared to driver clutch , makes it hard to see any change when scootin..

pomfish

control4userguy,
Please don't get mad at me asking this, but I just installed a Clone Tav 30 today on a Baja Warrior/Heat and noticed that the clone belt needed to be installed with the writing backwards to function properly.
All Comet belts I have ever had, mounted with the writing being able to be read left to right.
SO my question is, which way is your belt installed?
They will open the driven when the belt is installed backwards with no load but will not run right in normal use.
Hoping for an miracle for your issue.
Later,
Keith