Tote Gote - What model and year?

Hi all, i just went and looked a pair of Tote Gotes that a gentleman has for sale. I am not sure looking at the frame what model or year they are. I cannot find any tag on the frame that would show that information. Both bikes do have some ingraving on the frame by the motor. Both of them run, but backfire a little when letting off. Both front brakes are unhooked and not functioning, and one has an issue with the pull rope not catching or recoiling correctly each time. They look like they are pretty complete otherwise. The owner did a crappy job of tack welding the mesh to the frame on the back too. He is asking 500 each or 900 for the pair, which I think is a bit high. Can you still get parts for these? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I didn't get one. The were in the corner of his garage. The brace that runs up in the center from the front of the engine is what throws me off. It doesn't go to the neck, but the cross brace further back. You can sort of see in the picture from directly above.

Both are model VS Tote Gotes. They have the correct Deepco Maxmatic clutch. They were the second model of the Tote Gote. Made in 1959, they were the first 'variable speed' (VS) gote. Pre-dates the model B.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thank you Richard. What is meant by variable speed? All of the bearings, shafts, sprockets and chains appear to be in good shape. These look so simple. Are parts hard to find for these? Any reason not to purchase these?

Last edited:
Variable Speed referrs to the 'torque converter' belt type drive. As your speed increases, the clutch closes. This changes the ratio between the motor and jackshaft, increasing speed. Previous model engaged belt but didn't change ratios, making a top speed of 5mph. Asking price seems a bit high.

Last edited: