Trail Horse, Wards & others throttle/grips Info...

Biffmini

I've spent some time on some old Trail Horse throttles that were damaged & covered with over spray (paint) also twisted out of shape. I started with the worst one A member sent me. Badly Twisted, broken throttle tube & plenty of over spray. I started with removing paint over spray. I used Goo Gone & cotton rag & with aggressive rub down with finger nail under rag paint came off nicely, revealing a grip in surprisingly great condition. next I noticed the throttle, that I thought was one pc. was two pc. Grip & inner tube. So next I tried to remove inner tube, I used a sm. straight blade screwdriver between grip & tube & sprayed liquid wrench in between. Still stuck like chuck! Next & hot water soak about 20 min. Then the inner tube slid right out. Yea! Now To deal with twist, I set the grip on dash of van in the sun 20 min. Now the grip was soft I twisted back in its straight form & slid it back on a throttle tube let it cool. Now this grip that looked to be wasted, is a very very nice grip!!! Just needs a good inner tube.
Its the one on the left of pic.

So Tom, if you want it its yours, I have good throttle grips... Its the Dummy Grip I really needed if you recall,
This is how it turned out.

I'm working on another set I picked up at Windber from Karl. the Dummy grip turned out almost mint! Throttle grip is well on its way to being very nice.

20 minute soak is too long. I've never done more than 5 mins. I remember trying to tell Tippy these could be disected. She argued with me that it was one piece so I said forget it lol. I just take my throttle grip and install it on a new throttle assy/inner. Sometimes they are a little loose and need a single wrap of electrical tape on the inner tube to make the grip stay secure.

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]

Biffmini

I thought a few members would be ahead of me on this info... Its all new to me. I've learned so much through OldMiniBikes members in my year & half into this hobby, I thought I'd pay it forward.

looking good !!! i usualy warm them with a heat gun . always seems to work well :thumbsup:
Thank y'all for this thread...I am replacing the grips on our MTS-30 trike, and the left grip (that had not been off since I bought it) would not budge....I got my wife's hair dryer after it for 4 or 5 minutes...and was able to get it twisted off the handlebar....:thumbsup:

Last edited: