Trying to recollect a chopper we had......

I've looked around and can't find anything on a chopper mini bike as I remember it. It was early 70s. It was typical easyrider in your face red/white/blue.....I don't remember the scheme. I do know there was metalflake in the seat. There was no rear suspension or seat shocks. I think the fork may have been rigid as well/no suspension. Centrifugal clutch, not torque converter. Doesn't seem like it would be hard to find but every red/white/blue I found has so sort of rear suspension.

Any thoughts on what it is I'm remembering? Thanks!

Addicted 2 Minis

Sounds like a Manco Stars and Stripes to me minus the suspension. Cat was probably the only ones without suspension but I don't think they had a red/white/blue color scheme.

Was it a traditional looking mini chopper like a Bonanza? Could it have been a semi-chopper looking bike like a Cat All American ?
It was very chopper-esque.....not a regular mini they tried to make look like a chopper.

Sounds like a Manco Stars and Stripes to me minus the suspension. Cat was probably the only ones without suspension but I don't think they had a red/white/blue color scheme.
We rode that thing a lot and it was before 1976 so it wasn't bicentennial......it had to be take-off of "easyrider". I believe it was a high-back seat and possibly a sissy bar or some sort of combination of the 2.

Another possibility?
The stellar chopper looks similar but I believe the seat was down on the rear tire more like a chopper and it had an engine mounted tank.

Thanks guy! You've already come up with more than I could find but I'm still not seeing what I remember.

Funny story...I do remember burning the clutch up trying to climb hills that a mini bike (much less a chopper) was not supposed to climb.....fun times for sure!

1971_MB1A

It was very chopper-esque.....not a regular mini they tried to make look like a chopper.

We rode that thing a lot and it was before 1976 so it wasn't bicentennial......it had to be take-off of "easyrider". I believe it was a high-back seat and possibly a sissy bar or some sort of combination of the 2.

The stellar chopper looks similar but I believe the seat was down on the rear tire more like a chopper and it had an engine mounted tank.

Thanks guy! You've already come up with more than I could find but I'm still not seeing what I remember.

Funny story...I do remember burning the clutch up trying to climb hills that a mini bike (much less a chopper) was not supposed to climb.....fun times for sure!
They made a version of the Cat/Jcp (common purple colored chopper) that was red,white,and blue.

They made a version of the Cat/Jcp (common purple colored chopper) that was red,white,and blue.
Oh my goodness! I found the purple version and it seems to check all the right boxes. Would love to see a r/w/b version. I saw a pic from a 1974 JCP catalog but didn't see the chopper mini bike. Do you know what year JCP offered it? The wealth of knowledge here is amazing....thanks!

The white frame JCP did not seem like it. The frame was blue, I believe, and there was some red w/ stripes in there. 45t, I think you nailed it. I kept thinking stars n stripes but it was pre '76 so, it didn't seem right but, I believe that's it! I would love to find one of those. Would it have been around'74? Looks like you have a frame.....I was thinking Tecumseh. Thanks guys!

45t

45t, I think you nailed it. I kept thinking stars n stripes but it was pre '76 so, it didn't seem right but, I believe that's it! I would love to find one of those. Would it have been around'74? Looks like you have a frame.....I was thinking Tecumseh. Thanks guys!

Unfortunately I don’t have a Stars and Stripes chopper. I did have a duster, but I sold it several years ago. I think the Stars and Stripes will be very hard to find in its original form. If you wanted to build one, I’d recommend getting ahold of a duster and building it into a Stars and Stripes. The duster and Stars and Stripes is the same bike, just different color. The choppers did originally come with a tecumseh, I think it was 3.5hp.

Unfortunately I don’t have a Stars and Stripes chopper. I did have a duster, but I sold it several years ago. I think the Stars and Stripes will be very hard to find in its original form. If you wanted to build one, I’d recommend getting ahold of a duster and building it into a Stars and Stripes. The duster and Stars and Stripes is the same bike, just different color. The choppers did originally come with a tecumseh, I think it was 3.5hp.
You are probably right....would be very difficult to find an original! And getting a Duster and converting it would be my best option. Yes, a Tecumseh 3-1/2 is what I remember. Cool thing is though, now I'm at least 99% sure of what it was. Now that I know, I can decide if I want to pursue one and put it in my growing list of projects to get to. Thanks guys!

f4radar

I’ve got this one it’s a 1971 JCP duster, it came with a 3hp TEC. I put an hs50 and some front pegs on it. I was riding it yesterday and at 6’ 175lbs it’s just too sits to awkward for me to get comfortable but it looks pretty cool so I keep it.

DA8E2C1C-3888-4F1F-8D85-C4CE04C87EFD.jpeg

Last edited: