Tube Failures

I think I've learned through going thru tubes throughout the years with my mini, the stem area of the tube cracks and fails. I've just now started to reinforce the stem area with superglue. This is my first attempt, very interested to see if the tube lasts longer.

Is it a split rim? Is there crusty rust around your valve stem? Has it been at the stem, where you have found leaks?
Or was it a leak elsewhere in the tube, and the air just had no other way out? Many years in tire stores, never saw any good use for super glue.
It is not flexible, at all.

Welcome to oldminibikes.com !

cfh

i would not use super glue. instead try GOOP (available at any hardware store.) They also make GOOP3000 which is a more industrial version. That's probably better. but super glue dries rock hard, that may cause other problems.

Is it a split rim? Is there crusty rust around your valve stem? Has it been at the stem, where you have found leaks?
Or was it a leak elsewhere in the tube, and the air just had no other way out? Many years in tire stores, never saw any good use for super glue.
It is not flexible, at all.

Welcome to oldminibikes.com !
What I have seen, is a crack near the stem. The last failure, I laid down superglue around the crack and got a few more miles out of it. I'm just thinking on every new tube, I'm going to reinforce that area with superglue.
Yes, a split rim.

Find something that stays flexible. Stuff in a tube called The Welder is good. As mentioned above, Goop is good. Shoe goop, window goop, aquarium goop...they all stick like crazy and they stay flexible.
I asked you before, Is it a split rim? Is there rust inside the rim, touching the tube?
If so, you need to clean ALL of that rust out, get the wheel smooth, paint it, and make sure no more water gets in there.
Sorry, forgot to ask if it is steel or aluminum. I assumed steel, because of the symptom you described.

DaddyJohn

FWIW, cyanoacrylate glue is great for gluing butyl rubber together. It’s standard procedure for fabricated o-rings, so I could see it fusing a crack back together near a valve stem. How long that would last is anyone’s guess, but I don’t see any reason you couldn’t reinforce the repair with Goop etc. for added strength.

Just buy new tubes. Superglue (or any glue for that matter) is a waste of time. If you see any cracks it's no good. Seems the Chinese tubes are extra shitty, and don't last long at all.

DaddyJohn

Just buy new tubes. Superglue (or any glue for that matter) is a waste of time. If you see any cracks it's no good. Seems the Chinese tubes are extra shitty, and don't last long at all.
Strongly agree, unless you don’t have any on hand and need to make an immediate repair. Walking’s fun in the meantime I guess…:D