Using Disc Brakes .. help?

So today, I'm gonna go out and hunt for some disc brakes maybe off an old moped or motorcycle or something because I can't get them delivered here. BUT maybe I'll get lucky and find some for smaller mini's. BUT in case all of my luck goes wrong:

Has anyone ever used a set of bicycle disc brakes on their mini bike? I mean is it feasible? Or can't they handle all of that stress??? Please help, I'm looking for easy-to-find solutions...:confused:

MINI-MATIC

To simplify it for you,just look on ebay and buy one of the small disc brake caliper units that are always being sold,somewhere between $10.00 and $20.00.You will then have to make a perch to mount it on the frame,either useing the rear sprocket as the disc,or a separate disc mounted to the rear wheel opposite of the rear sprocket side.If you use the sprocket side,you MUST float the CALIPER,if you use a separate disc,you can either float the disc or the brake unit.To float a disc or caliper means to have it mounted with required screws etc..,but with it being totally tighten,as to not fall off,it should be able to wobble a bit,so either the caliper can seek the fixed disc,or the wobble in the disc can seek the fixed caliper.I have seen both these setups and prefer the fixed disc setup.This is not a hydraulic brake setup,this is why this needs to be setup this way,I hope this helps you out!!:thumbsup:

MINI-MATIC

Sorry,I missed the part about you not being able to get them delivered to you.If you can find one on a bike,that should work,or Motorcycle,that may be hydraulic though,which is actually better.Also,try locating a riding lawn mower,these will usually have the kind I mentioned on them.Good Luck!!:thumbsup:

So today, I'm gonna go out and hunt for some disc brakes maybe off an old moped or motorcycle or something because I can't get them delivered here. BUT maybe I'll get lucky and find some for smaller mini's. BUT in case all of my luck goes wrong:

Has anyone ever used a set of bicycle disc brakes on their mini bike? I mean is it feasible? Or can't they handle all of that stress??? Please help, I'm looking for easy-to-find solutions...:confused:
It sounds like you have access to a welder in some of your other posts. If so, why not just fab a simple scrub brake? It's a very basic design that is hard to goof up if you can weld and bend steel bar.
Here is a picture of what you would need to fabricate. You would need two large washers, or cut out some tabs that will mount to both of the bottom tubes of your frame. then you can slide the long piece that the scrub will be mounted on through those (after you cut desired diameter hole into the tabs/washers). Once this is done, you can weld the scrub (square piece pictured here) onto that rod that you slid through the tabs. You will need a a spring to hook to the engine plate that comes from the scrub to keep it away from the tire when not engaged. I probably really sucked at explaining that, but hopefully you'll get the point.
can someone post a close up picture of a scrub brake on a bike?, i can't seem to find one.

here, maybe you can see how it mounts up in this picture. Click on the bar directly above the photo and that will open it up in a new window as a larger version for better viewing of the brake. Here is a thread you can also look at. The photos show a scrub brake on the green mini as well, and you can see the spring that I was talking about.
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/engines-modifications/41375-korndog-3-buildup.html

Last edited:
scrub brake pic

flatheadgary has a good pic of his new frame he has and you can see the brake setup on his, in the us vintage forum. For my go cart, I picked up a small motorcycle drum brake which works quite well, have another one going on my minibike in the spring.