Using these air-cooled engines for...

Has anyone here ever used one of these air-cooled engines for a small boat, or do you think there would be overheating problems?

I have an air-cooled Honda 2.3 Hp outboard which works fine in a 14 foot 'traditional' wooden rowing/sailing vessel. Trouble is, lol, the outboard takes away from the 'traditional' appearance.

Now, after replacing my 2.8 LiFan with a 6.5 LiFan, I am pipe dreaming about having a little inboard engine, with a prop shaft out the bottom, next to the keel. That part I can deal with, my dad's an amateur boatbuilder, and I've built (a small) one, and helped on many.

I wouldn't bother with reverse gear, just forward/nuetral, reducing rpm's accordingly for the prop with a sprocket of some kind. This kind of boat doesn't need much power, it only goes a few knots...maybe 4-5 MPH.

It sure would look cute with a little inboard though...

Cheers
john

Oldsalt

Many years ago I looked carefully at a boat, about 10 feet, that had a Briggs lawnmower engine mounted inboard, approx. midship, with a regular shaft and stuffing box like a big boat. However, it had a "U" joint located just outside the hull so the prop could be manually adjusted for heigth. It did not have a skag. I believe it was a home built. Was used for fishing. It was very lightly built with tiny ribs; two people could have carried it. I too always thought it was a neat design. The 4-stroke Briggs just had to be a lot more reliable and easier to start and much better fuel economy than a 2-stroke outboard. I grew up in a boat shop in the early 50s.

Many years ago I looked carefully at a boat, about 10 feet, that had a Briggs lawnmower engine mounted inboard, approx. midship, with a regular shaft and stuffing box like a big boat. However, it had a "U" joint located just outside the hull so the prop could be manually adjusted for heigth. It did not have a skag. I believe it was a home built. Was used for fishing. It was very lightly built with tiny ribs; two people could have carried it. I too always thought it was a neat design. The 4-stroke Briggs just had to be a lot more reliable and easier to start and much better fuel economy than a 2-stroke outboard. I grew up in a boat shop in the early 50s.
that story sounds a bit fishy. :laugh:

You could build a straight drive outboard like the one used in James Bond, Man with the golden gun were they ran those small boat over in one of those Asian country's.I thought about using my 2.8 engine built like that for my kayak.I not sure what they call that style of outboard engine set up.

I know Ive seen outboards rigged up with air cooled engines it was on dirty jobs but can't remember the episode or what they were doing just the engines go figure