Wards / Gilson swingarm question

Recently picked up a Wards 525 frame to build a rider. There is much previous owner engineering to fix. Having never owned one before my question is, are the legs of the swing arm supposed to be parallel? The one leg is 90 degrees to the shaft, the leg with the brake lever angles away from the other nearly an inch over it's length. (greater than 90 degrees) Is this normal?
Also want to thank Roadmaster75 for posting a source for swingarm flange bushings. The search function on the site works well if you know what you're looking for, (found the bushing post) but I couldn't find an answer to my swingarm question. Thanks for any info.

capguncowboy

The swingarms should be parallel with one another and the axle holes should line up. If they don't, I suggest straightening them before you attempt to ride or you'll damage it further or seriously injure yourself. This image was provided by UnorthodoxCreat:

If you're unsure how to straighten them, remove them and take lots of pictures. Post them up here and someone will give some advice. If you don't weld, you may need to take them to someone that does.

If you have questions about Gilson bikes, feel free to message me. I'll do my best to answer your questions or help you find someone who can. I have a thing for those bikes :)

Thanks for the offer on Gilson info. I'll take you up on it as I go.
The arm is dead straight so it must have bent at the weld. There isn't an obvious bend point so that's why I wondered if it was originally built this way for brake assembly clearance. I'll straighten it out.

Got the swing arm straightened and made the oval bushings today. Hope to have it going next week, then take it back apart to paint it back blue.

IMG_1056_zpstke0vlkn.jpg