Weird shifts

toomanytoys

Any of you guys work odd shifts? At the mine we are doing some big projects so they stuffed a bunch of us on odd shifts. I'm working noon to midnight. It freaking sucks, going to be doing this for 14 days straight.

Worst of all from noon to midnight I'm stuck in my office "parts support needs" Because our warehouse staff barely has sense enough to put their boots on correctly. So basicly, I am going to sit here for 12 hours a day, looking at mini bikes, and play games on my tablet unless someone calls out needing a part. But it got me the thinking, anyone work any screwed up shift?

gbones

i work 9am-5pm now. but a few years ago i worked from 3pm-1:30am for about 7months and that :censure: sucked. but we did have 3 day weekend, but spent most of the 1st day off sleeping:doah: i dont miss going to bed when the sun was rising.

I'm on a grueling 7:00A.M. to 3:30 P.M. ohh wait those are great hours.:doah:

I have worked noon to 8 pm which sucked I prefered the 2 pm to 10 pm shift.

The absolute worst was driving a concrete truck where one day I might start at 9 am then the next it might be 5-6 AM then the next might be 11 AM it was all over the place at times.
They made you work until the concrete was all delivered some times early, 5 PM-ish sometimes 10 pm

buckeye

I work in medicine as most know.
I was on call for 6 years straight at one stretch. Only was off while on vacation or at a meeting. My regular shift was 6:30am until we finished surgery. That could be 2 pm or 2 am. Depending on what we were doing.
Then have to turn around and start a 5-6 hour surgery that came through the E.R.
Then have the next day to do it all over. And of course had to make rounds.
Also,we used medicinal leeches to salvage fingers we put back on. None of the docs would mess with them. So every 3 hours I would go to the hospital and apply a leach or two. That went on for 3-4 days.
I never had regular working hours until the last 9 years. No more call!!

Toomanytoys, which mine company to work for? I have some in laws from up woodsfield, oh that work in mines and have been working odd hours here lately too.

MikeBear

6pm to 6am, with an odd weekly setup.

First week is work Monday and Tuesday, then off until working again Saturday and Sunday (48hours) Second week is OFF Monday and Tuesday, work Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, then off Saturday and Sunday (36 hours). I just finished that one, so am off right now. I stay on that schedule even on my "days" off. We do that for 3 months, then change to 6am to 6pm. Rotate that around the entire year.

I'm a nurse, and I work overnight. 11pm to 7:30am. I get paid the same as day shift, but I do FAR less work. Most of my night is spent in a recliner watching TV and surfing the web on my phone. The only bad part is I work 2 days in a row, then off 2 days in a row, so I never get into a good sleep pattern. The good part about that is I can usually be available for anything going on day or evening.

12 hour shift 14 days straight in a mine.

Thats not just bad its stupid.
No one is productive working those hours...

Thursday I finnished our 12 hour shift run for shut down.
12 hours of relatively unproductive time doing poorly planned jobs....

They wanted 60 hours out of me ( legal limit under the mining act is no more than 60 hours a week in a mine here. Too many fellows have worked them selves dead int he past ).

I gave them 48 last 4 weeks, thats all I am good for these days.

Normaly we work 8 hour shifts monday to Friday in the elect dept.
They tried to get us around the clock and weekends but oo many guys simply quit and the loss of man power crippled the division.

I work 4 hours OT Monday and Wednesday.
My rules.....
The bossman knows I and doing my weekly clean up of unfinnished work and projects of my own ( substation upgrades and powers system improvements ).
He does not call underground very often and ask much....
He wants to hear the word DONE....
I give him as many Done's to his questions as I can and he's happy...

Its not the shift that improves productivity.
Its a good boss, planning and the experience and knologe to pick off the jobs you can and can not do.
After that safety, and effective work drop into place.

Morons who run around the mine trying to fight fires without a plan get little done,
Except maybe get themselves hurt.

I have a very good boss.
I think one of the best actualy....
I can bark and bitch at him and he does not flinch or back down.
I can hug him if I like and he does not squirm.
I tell thim the trueth ( wether he wants it or not ) and not worry.
I cover his arse and he covers mine.
I defend and from slander and stupid commments from the mining Dept.
He backs me up through the chain of comand above him, always without hesitation.

Thats a good boss, foundation of a good crew....

Last edited:

toomanytoys

Toomanytoys, which mine company to work for? I have some in laws from up woodsfield, oh that work in mines and have been working odd hours here lately too.
I work for Murray Energy. Sure you seen us in the news recently with the Mitt Rally and the 'forcing employees to go and unpaid workers' If anyone wishes to know the truth behind that I will share. Just to say, I got paid for 10.5 hours that day, so there is a mix of truth and ficition to the claims.

I've worked a lot of long hours here. When I was purely underground maintenance I worked 10-12 hours a day for 6 days on 2 days off rotating shifts. Needless to say by the 4th day I was done. When I first started I was midnight warehouse clerk and I worked 6pm to 6 am 4 on 3 off. It was a nice schedule. Sunday through Weds. Thursday friday sat off. The guy who worked opposite of me only wanted to work the weekend, when I wasoff so I never worked any of those days unless he took vacation. He was fine with 36hrs a week.

I never heard about the 48 hours in the miners act? Heck we routinely work 60+ a week. I don't complain because I am a money hungry bastard.

Only reason now I am on this schedule is for the longwall move.

I work for Murray Energy. Sure you seen us in the news recently with the Mitt Rally and the 'forcing employees to go and unpaid workers' If anyone wishes to know the truth behind that I will share. Just to say, I got paid for 10.5 hours that day, so there is a mix of truth and ficition to the claims.

I've worked a lot of long hours here. When I was purely underground maintenance I worked 10-12 hours a day for 6 days on 2 days off rotating shifts. Needless to say by the 4th day I was done. When I first started I was midnight warehouse clerk and I worked 6pm to 6 am 4 on 3 off. It was a nice schedule. Sunday through Weds. Thursday friday sat off. The guy who worked opposite of me only wanted to work the weekend, when I wasoff so I never worked any of those days unless he took vacation. He was fine with 36hrs a week.

I never heard about the 48 hours in the miners act? Heck we routinely work 60+ a week. I don't complain because I am a money hungry bastard.

Only reason now I am on this schedule is for the longwall move.
the 60 hours a week only aplies to mines in Ontario.
The last royal inquest into an accident ( nearly 30 years ago and much over due for another but will not happen ) came to the conclussion that men working too many long hours in excess of 60 were getting killed .

I am aware of the story about Mitt Romney.
No comment.

Shift work has to be planned carefuly to get the best productivity and safety.
Where I work ( Vale, the great Satan of mining ) there is no reason or logic to shift changes.
They simply hire a consultant who tells them what they want to hear ( or ignor what they are told ) and try and make it look like we are a 24 7 day opperation.
This of course is madness.....
You blast and need to clear the mine and sometimes wait for seismicity to stop.

I realy think however they are more concerned how much muck they skip per man hour than how many corpses they creat per X number of tons.....

It was not like that under INCO management.
And we always made money.....

I complain loudly...
I don't need their money, and could work 6 months a year for triple the take home if I went to Kazastan or Africa....
They need to realize we can quit ( amd we roll over 40% of new hires in 2 years now ).
Under INCO I can only think of 1 man that ever quit in the previous decade.

Last edited:
One of my roommates works in catering and she has a hahahahaed up schedule. This last Friday she started work at 6am and didn't get off until 4am Saturday. It's quite common for her to have 12-16 hour days. The work comes and goes though, so sometimes she won't have work for weeks at a time.