Welding repair

I had to share this mess.....

So a friend asked me if I could repair a fence gate hinge for a friend of hers and I nonchalantly said sure.....

Well I was a little taken aback when I got the hinge plate. The upper hinge pin had come "unglued" because it wasn't welded... I cleaned it up and you can see on the strap that there was almost no penetration what so ever. Just 3 or 4 little pits where it tried to bite. Then after I welded it back on I split the crack between the pin and the bracket where it wasn't welded... and filled it with a hot pass.

And after repairing the top I hit the lower pin with the hammer and it came off on the 3rd lick... So I cleaned it up and welded it back on too.

It was a Flux core weld and a cold weld at that. It was nasty thats for sure.

It wont come off now....

Doug

Last edited:
Nice Doug, that is what always happens to me, I commit before actually seeing the mess. Those are some terrible welds for sure. Flux core wire typically burns hotter than non fluxcore wire. Lack a penetration looks like the least of that welders issues. It looks like whoever did that, said close yours eyes and pull the trigger lol.

Last edited:
Reminds me when I was in 2nd grade. We had a project that required paste to complete. The kid sitting ahead of me turns around and asks,"Can I use some of your paste?" I say, "Why, are you out?" He says, "Oh, I never had any....I've been using boogers, and now my nose
is bleeding".:doah:

Reminds me when I was in 2nd grade. We had a project that required paste to complete. The kid sitting ahead of me turns around and asks,"Can I use some of your paste?" I say, "Why, are you out?" He says, "Oh, I never had any....I've been using boogers, and now my nose
That is funny :laugh:

I can see that happening......

Thanks for sharing PAP.

Doug