Weldking micro mini

Damn cool build. How many hp is 79cc? Is that some sort of re-pop frame or is it vintage? I love the whitewalls & grips.
Thanks man! The frame was made by another member, he made up several of them but I think he has since quit making them. I think the 79cc is somewhere around 3 hp(correct me if I'm wrong). The white walls were from another project, they were painted on with krylon plastic fusion paint. The paint cracked over time so I scrapped those tires.

I paid about $23 per can. It was a little expensive but I didn't want to have to deal with a paint gun and compressor. I've got access to everything to spray automotive paint, but I lack the experience in spraying so I turned to my tried and true rattle cans.

I paid about $23 per can. It was a little expensive but I didn't want to have to deal with a paint gun and compressor. I've got access to everything to spray automotive paint, but I lack the experience in spraying so I turned to my tried and true rattle cans.
I would like to try that, I hate getting everything out just for small stuff. Sometimes even a touch up gun is a problem because of the hose. Mini bikes can be tricky to paint.

Hey Slick, I've been real hesitant to speak up in anyone's thread these days, much less a paint subject, so I apologize in advance if I once again make someone angry. I am not a novice painter.

I underwent some painful medical stuff earlier in the year, (still am) and my wife backed her car into the garage door opening, with the rear car door open. In so doing, she bent up the hinges. I ordered some used hinges, stripped them, etc. and not wanting to deal with my paint gun and required clean up for such a small project, opted for the custom spray can route.

I'm pretty sure my local Car Quest does not offer the aerosol filling option, so I ordered it from one of the many Ebay vendors who now sell this, and by the way, they also sell urethane coatings which also do not require a top coat- in a rattle can. So you are not stuck with just acrylic enamel.

The rattle can paint option I received did not have the same amount of catalyst in it that the mixed versions do. Since you said Car Quest, let's assume we're talking about Nason (Altaxa) "Ful Cryl" which is their Acrylic Enamel and mixed with an 8-2-1 ratio, with "1" being the catalyst.

A mixed batch of that will last about three days in a sealed container, depending on the temperature.

The custom batch of Acrylic Enamel I ordered off of Ebay has lasted over five months in the can. The application yielded results far inferior to what I do with a gun, and the finish is not even close.

It is definitely an alternative to application of paint when a can of Ace-brand paint just wont cut it, but I was not impressed with the finish. In my experience, there is no valid comparison between the final outcomes between that rattle can and a paint gun with properly mixed coating.

Hey Slick, I've been real hesitant to speak up in anyone's thread these days, much less a paint subject, so I apologize in advance if I once again make someone angry. I am not a novice painter.

I underwent some painful medical stuff earlier in the year, (still am) and my wife backed her car into the garage door opening, with the rear car door open. In so doing, she bent up the hinges. I ordered some used hinges, stripped them, etc. and not wanting to deal with my paint gun and required clean up for such a small project, opted for the custom spray can route.

I'm pretty sure my local Car Quest does not offer the aerosol filling option, so I ordered it from one of the many Ebay vendors who now sell this, and by the way, they also sell urethane coatings which also do not require a top coat- in a rattle can. So you are not stuck with just acrylic enamel.

The rattle can paint option I received did not have the same amount of catalyst in it that the mixed versions do. Since you said Car Quest, let's assume we're talking about Nason (Altaxa) "Ful Cryl" which is their Acrylic Enamel and mixed with an 8-2-1 ratio, with "1" being the catalyst.

A mixed batch of that will last about three days in a sealed container, depending on the temperature.

The custom batch of Acrylic Enamel I ordered off of Ebay has lasted over five months in the can. The application yielded results far inferior to what I do with a gun, and the finish is not even close.

It is definitely an alternative to application of paint when a can of Ace-brand paint just wont cut it, but I was not impressed with the finish. In my experience, there is no valid comparison between the final outcomes between that rattle can and a paint gun with properly mixed coating.
Hey Dave, no offense taken. By no means am I a skilled painter, nor will I ever claim to be. I'm sure that having the paint mixed in a rattle can is certainly not the best way to go about painting a high end bike like some of the stuff that's built on this forum, but for myself it seemed to be a logical approach to getting a custom color and a superior finish over the rustoleum paint jobs I've done in the past. The thin consistency of the paint made it hard to spray without making it drip in the floor, but overall im pretty impressed with the outcome. The finish is much harder than straight enamel and seems like a durable finish. Im happy using this method again in the future but I'm always open to suggestions.

slick 73, you mentioned "Im happy using this method again in the future but I'm always open to suggestions."

Here is another suggestion and in my opinion is far better. I've used these many times for small jobs where I didn't want to clean my gun ( I've been painting cars and stuff for many years). Yes, I have painted minibikes with these too, they work just fine.
With this system you can mix up your car paint with all the hardeners, reducers, activators whatever and not worry about pot life as you will use it right away like a regular spray gun. I too suggest Urethane paint as opposed to acrylic Enamel.
These work very well, are cheap, easy to clean or just throw away.
You can buy them in paint stores, on-line or even Home Depot. Give it a try :)

Danford1

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Preval-...MIg5Cf0JWf2AIVXLbACh3GzAh1EAQYASABEgJAQ_D_BwE

Last edited:
It looks very good to me. We saw a few of these bikes getting started last year, but I don't recall so many getting finished. So good job on that too. Love the blue and white contrast, especially on such a tiny machine. Cool.

+1 on the Preval system. I've used em for years on small, multi-color jobs. The custom-filled rattle can idea is cool. Nice work here. The blue looks a bit like the Carroll Shelby family tree of blue.
Steve

My comment on the spray paint verses catalyzed paint issue. Putting the paint in a spray can makes it simpler without a doubt, but adding hardener to the paint makes the paint significantly (many times) more durable. Cleaning out a paint gun does only take a few minutes. Back in the 70's enamel paint did not have a very good reputation in the car paint world. The paint manufactures stepped up their game and made hardener as an additive, enamels quickly became the rock-stars of the car paint world.

Thanks for the tips and words of encouragement everybody. I'm gonna try to finish this thing up tomorrow afternoon, I've got a small window between present opening and christmas dinners that I might be able to jam it together.

Finally got a roller after a week of procrastinating...just a couple more things to button up and it's done! For some strange reason, this is the point of all my projects where lose complete enthusiasm...the last 10%. That's why I never actually finish anything. Don't be surprised if you see me updating this thread in a years time and the bike still isn't done.

Attachments