West Bend 580 Powered MiniBike

DMR

First day of work, got all of the parts layed out (In my living room, it's 101degrees out with 85% humidity I am not going to work in the garage) . The frame is manufactured in California and has a sealed-bearing Neck/Stem,and welded foot-peg bungs, because the PTO shaft is 9/16 diameter I had to get a custom clutch made by Max-Torque. The first thing I had to do was get the clutch and rear sprocket to line up. The holes the engine mount had were not big enough so I drilled out a new hole to get it to mount to the frame. To prevent the brake drum from moving there is a small post sticking out of the frame that slides between two plates, two problems;

1 - Post is so long it prevents the wheel from lining up with the sprocket.

2 - The post is located so close to the axle that I had to grind out some area between plates so that it would fit. (once you see the pictures you will understand)

The post must of been made of hardened tool steel or something because it took about 9 grinding sessions in the garage to get it right. Spent about 5 Hours working on Assembling the Wheels/Tires, drilling holes, grinding, and going to Ace for some hardware, thats it for today and I will get it painted and mostly assembled tomorrow.:thumbsup:

DMR

Yeah, I had been looking for one that ISN'T Clockwise rotation since April untill I found this one, I thought that he might of seen something on the engine that made it a CW Rotation model.

Last edited:

DMR

Did the prime and paint today, first picture is primered frame, second picture is primed and painted. I hung the frame from some hooks with karting wire. No more work untill Saturday, I have all of the parts except for the Carb Velocity Stack/Air Cleaner, and the fuel tank, both those parts are on the way to my house now, if everything goes right i'll have it running on sunday or maybe even saturday. :thumbsup::scooter::thumbsup:

funny I did the same thing drilled and mounted my 580 on my aggie bike yesterday good luck with you project :thumbsup:
Kyle that bike is sweeeet ... Dang :thumbsup: ... Oh ... Sorry DMR for bust'in into your thread a little ... And ... Don't forget to bring me that 580 when you come to North Texas in October ... No really bro ... That yellow machine is gonna be AWSOME :thumbsup:... Can't wait to see it complete

DMR

Did alot of work today, during the week I recieved the rest of the parts in the mail, fuel tank, velocity stack, and air filter. Today I measured, cut, and installed the wheel spacers, installed the grips, fabricated up some brackets to hang the fuel tank from the underside of the back of the seat, installed foot pegs, installed seat, finished aligning clutch and rear sprocket, made a gasket for the header, installed header, greased all the bearings, installed and attached the brake lever, all from the air conditioned comfort of my living room!:thumbsup:

The only things left to do are cut the chain to length and install it, tighten down the engine mount bolts, rig up the kill switch, hose clamp the fuel tank to the mouting brackets, attach a fuel line, hook up the throttle linkage, properly inflate the tires, fuel her up and start her for the first time! If everything goes well i'll have her running tommorow, VIDEOS TO COME!:thumbsup:

DMR

Pretty much finished it today, mounted the fuel tank, installed fuel line, cut chain to length and installed it, filled up the tank and started her up! She sounds great, it wouldnt start at first because it wasnt getting any fuel but I put some fuel in the carb and it started right up, ran it for about 2 1/2 minutes and then shut her off. Made a video of the startup and it will be on my YouTube channel and here shortly.:thumbsup::thumbsup::scooter::smile:

DMR

Just rode it around the Neighborhood, the clutch engages EXTREMELY smoothly. The brakes turned out pretty good and it has a decent amount of power, it is WAYYYYY to rich on the bottom end though, i'll lean it out and make a video.:thumbsup: