West Bend 820 - direction of rotation

You will need to change the crank and the breaker cam in order to get the ignition timing right (on a points engine)..also the PTO side is threaded differently on LH & RH to keep the nut from spinning off. If you have solid state ignition you will need to change the flywheel too.

Last edited:
Sounds like more work than I am up for. Will need to look for CCW model. Anyone have a 820 with CCW rotation to trade for a CW 820?

I am inclined to tear the engine apart, and attempt to reverse the rotation (I'm told it is possible to do). Sounds like a fun challenge. Am I asking for trouble in attempting this? If it has been done, anybody know of a thread that describes the process?

You can use the crank that's in it, but you will need to cut a new keyway for the flywheel in the proper location and use the correct cam for the ignition.

Hello all , new guy here. Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'm trying to determine which direction my 820 flywheel is charged for. It is magnetized but I'm not sure which direction. I used to work at US Motor Power years ago and we had a small hand held tester that told you which magnet was north and which was south. Forgot what this tool was called. Also its been awhile but the north magnet is the first to hit the lamination correct ? Any help is appreciated .