what are they?

markus

This first bike I would say is a version of the "black jack" mini bike, these actually are not that old, I've only ever seen them with 6" wheels but that one looks made for the 8" which are still available asuza "spinners". I want to say they were made by a kart shop/builder in IL maybe??? they wre very cool bikes!

2nd I would say is a K&S (far left in the lineup)

Thanks Markus, I think you're spot on.
Never heard of a Black Jack. I thought the tape on the frame as an indicator of it being a K&S, but wasn't sure.
The members here have so much knowledge to draw from.

markus

Thanks Markus, I think you're spot on.
Never heard of a Black Jack. I thought the tape on the frame as an indicator of it being a K&S, but wasn't sure.
The members here have so much knowledge to draw from.

No problem, I doubt myself a little on the K&S one, only because the little frames like that I haven't seen a better shot than the one brochure pic posted and you can't see much. I think that the k&S line was sold by another name or maybe a department store as well and I cant remember what the name was to search them to see if there is a better shot of a small one to verify. Its alot like the small bird bikes...only built butter.

Good luck, both look like nice not as commonly seen bikes, and the black jacks are really cool lookin'

Yup, the first black bike is a Blackjack, made by John's Kart Shop in Chicago back in the 80's till the early 90's. The ones with the 6" wheels & Bonanza chopper seat were the early ones, while the later ones had the 8" wheels and a standard Azusa type seat. Somewhere in the middle you'll see a mix of wheels & seat types. I own 1 of each style blackjack.

-Marc

Here are my two blackjacks.. The first one is the older of the two, and has been restored to new. The second one is an untouched complete original.

Thanks for your input mfire39, I'll use your pictures as reference to put mine together. Probably put a clone engine on it though. I used steel wool on the front fender and the green spray bomb paint came right off. Chrome is fairly decent. Should make a fun rider.

Happy to help. Just be careful trying to mount a clone in it. The Blackjack frames have a unique shape with some tight clearances, and were designed around the Tecumseh HS40/HS50. I've seen a couple of horrible chop jobs on Craigslist where people mangled the rear frame rails just so they could stuff a clone or Predator in it. Good luck on your build, those bring back a lot of childhood memories for me.

-Marc