what carb can I use?

I tried to start the mini bike this morning and still no luck. I have an old craftsman push mower waiting to thrown out and the carbs look very similur. Do I dare try the craftsman carb on the mini bike? Any thoughts. I will post the pitures and see what you guys think. I put a picture of both carbs up, they look like they are about the same. I know, but I am starting to get desperate. I may have to break down and take it to a small engine shop:censure: I will keep trying what I know and hope I get some good sugestions here. Thanks Mountain

Welcome to the sight! It cant hurt anything to try, they do look similar! I like that air cleaner, I saw one on a minibike on a thread just last night. Try it the wost that can happen is it wont work!

That is the truth. I am going to tear it off and see if I can get it to run. My 5 year old son has been dying to tear that mower apart anyway. I caught him sneaking out of the shop with my tools yesterday, the only one that worried me was the ballpean hammer. I can't blame him though, that my favorite tool to use when I can't make something work. I will keep the site posted as how it works. Thanks

Mountian,
Those carbs are easy to rebuild so keep it!, You may be able to get that lawn mower carb to work, not sure, I remember I tried that once but can't remember what the results were, I really don't mess with Tec's that much anymore.
You should also give that kid his own set of tools and let him have at taking that old mower apart, he may learn something!!
dave

I started really looking at the carb and there is no choke and no return line on it. It was an entertaining thought for a bit. I went and got a new plug and got the motor running. I tuned it up the best I could, but when I go to give it gas it chokes it self out. What do I need to do to fix that now? I tried resetting the idle, the bottom screw and the side screw but it still does it. It also only wants to run when it is choked. Well, at least I got it started right. :punk: Thanks Mountain

I just read it, thanks for the link. I will try that and see how it works. I took it out for a little spin but the carb is just not right on it. When i go to get on it is just cuts out and trys to die out. I will see if I reset all of the adjustments helps at all. It wont hurt.

:doah: Oh... I am not caught up to speed here at all.. :lol:

Yeah sounds to me like you just aren't adjusted right.. Start by getting the engines idle speed set right.. The screw on the side is idle fuel.. When the engine is idling slowwwwwwwwly turn the screw in to lean it out... Lean it out until the engine reaches the highest rpms it will run.. If ya go TOO far it will stumble and miss and starve for fuel.. Back it back out to where ya started and go in again until you hear the rpms get back to running great.. That is where the idle fuel wants to be :thumbsup: then ya just use the throttle stop idle screw to set the idle speed again..

After that there is the matter of high speed (the bottom screw) that one I just grab the throttle plate on the carb and crack it wide open right there at the carb. If it coughs right out and dies it's good chance it's too lean.. If it stumbles and hesitates getting to speed and never gets to that high rpm range where ya have to shut it back down because you are afraid it's going to blow up :eek:hmy: it's probably too rich... You can also hold the throttle open to point the sounds like it's at top speed and slowly adjust the screw by sound as you would the idle screw.. :wink: That all requires two hands and the chain being taken off the bike though.. :doah: If it only idles with choke on it's probably the carb not being adjusted right.

Keep us posted... I would also recommend yanking that steel snowblower air cleaner thing off and using the lawn mower one like you mentioned. Just remember to ream that hole out in the plastic base just a little, so the choke butterfly doesn't hit it.. :thumbsup:

Last edited: