What do I have???

Hello from Michigan, I just bought my first minibike earlier this week and while trying to research what I bought I found Oldminibike.com. What a great site. I have an older Sears & Roebuck in very good shape for its age. It seems to be 100% complete. It has a Tecumseh engine that I think could be a 5hp and it does run good enought to test ride it but will need the carb rebuilt. It also has a gas tank with no dents and the seat has no tears surprisingly and still has the fork sticker with the S & R insignia. Of course the paint and chrome show its age some. It is running a jack shaft that has a second clutch on it plus a band brake besides the scrub brake. From what I learned searching OldMiniBikes this might be considered a 2 speed setup. As soon as I can figure out how to upload some photo's I'm hoping some of you folks might be able to tell me what I have, such as age and the name and who built it for S & R. For now I just want to get it running good but for my winter project this year I want to restore this beauty. Thanks, Enytyme ps, I gave $175 for it.

Here is a '71 brochure pic. They're called Ropers, but I'd bet Bird made them. They also came with torque converters and 4hp single speed. I fixed one up for a friend's kids. Here's a pic of it too. It had a H50 and I put a regular jackshaft on it.

Last edited:

george3

Its a toss up. department store bikes, mini bikes are higher volume and cheaper most of the time, than a shop that usually sells the higher end.

thanks guys for all your help. even tho it a department store bike i'm sure i'll have fun cleaning it up. i will admit i have learned alot reading thru the post and threads about all the different vintage minibikes and will be keeping my eyes open for more. i really want to find a chopper frame to build. :thumbsup:

yep, I do like the ape hanger style bars. I did get my carb kit but havn't had time to rebuild it yet. I have a pretty good hill behind my house and was surprised how well it pulled my fat butt up it lol. the 2 speed set up works great...