What is it? Speedway? Is it worth fixing?

I went to look at what I think is a Speedway today. At first glance it looked good and I was going to buy it then I saw
the engine mount plate and jack shaft were cut out and some other plate welded in. He was going to make it a straight chain bike...
What is this and is it worth fixing it up?
Perhaps part it out?

Thanks
Danford1

What a shame....that's a beautiful bike with nice wheels, seat and tank. I would have to buy it if the price was right and fix it....but that's just me.

Last edited:
Any idea what model Speedway? What year?
The wheels have some rust but not "real" bad. The tank has some dents also, again, not "real" bad. Both fenders are decent, seat is nice, good rear swing arm, front suspension works very good but the headlight mounting tabs have the ends broke off. etc.
There are a lot of good parts but the cut up engine plate made my heart hurt when I saw it...

"IF" anyone sees something they want, PM me your offer for the part. If the part offers are good enough I can go get it and part it out.

Danford1

That is Beautiful !
I think you are right. I've been researching Speedway pictures and info for hours. I also came up with a Scorpion. The owner said he thought it is 1970-71 also. I also found out how hard it will be to find the engine plate/jack shaft and torque converter. Not to mention that clutch cover...
I can forget about restoring it. The only hope I see for it is to part it and help out other Speedway owners with their projects.

Danford1

Don't part it out, fix it. Looks like one bent piece of thin steel plate to me. Grind the old off and Weld the new on. That being said, I'm no Speedway expert, but I hate to see such a beautiful bike dismembered and scattered across the country.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Please provide me with a link to the parts and I might fix it. It needs the engine plate with holes for jack shaft and torque converter along with all of the pieces for the torque converter and sprocket. Oh and also the rear sprocket and chain.
When I study the provided links to the parts I can determine if I'll buy it and fix it. If the parts aren't ready available Now then I can't buy it and fix it.
I don't have room to store it then search for parts. If I am to fix it, I need to do it all at once.

I'll start a new thread in the classified section and see if someone wants to buy it as it is. Then they can search for parts and fix it.
I simply can't be searching for a long time.

Danford1

Please explain what you mean by the question "Is it worth fixing it up?" Depending on your interest and use for the bike it may very well be. If you are just hoping to do a quick fix up and flip it for a big profit, likely not.
Michael

Yes "is it worth fixing up" was meant to fix and flip for profit. I'm not going to fix it up. It is going to get parted out.
We can close this thread now :)
Thanks to all that responded.

Danford1

Yes "is it worth fixing up" was meant to fix and flip for profit. I'm not going to fix it up. It is going to get parted out.
We can close this thread now :)
Thanks to all that responded.

Danford1
So you had time to make a buck off your fellow members here by pumping them for info and letting them do
the research and thinking for you when you had no intention of restoring it? You did everything but ask how much it was worth. Next time just start with "I found this pile of parts, anyone interested? Here's the price..." Jackass!

Last edited:
So you had time to make a buck off your fellow members here by pumping them for info and letting them do
the research and thinking for you when you had no intention of restoring it? You did everything but ask how much it was worth. Next time just start with "I found this pile of parts, anyone interested? Here's the price..." Jackass!
I'm sorry I offended you.
I posted to see what it was and in my first post.... I said "What is this and is it worth fixing it up?
Perhaps part it out?"

You can see I thought of parting it from the very first post. When someone parts something, it helps others that are looking for parts.
That is what I did. I helped a couple people out. They PM'd me and said they were very happy with the parts. That is a win/win.

Danford1

pomfish

If it weren't for parts bikes, how many bikes would be restored properly?

There is no shame in parting a bike and certainly No Shame in making money (READ PROFIT) for your time.
JMHO,
your Torque may vary.

then jack the agreed price up on them after getting all the information you need from them.