what is you favorite engine

well whats you favorite engine because i cant decide because i love th made in usa briggs but what about the reliable honda but the predator is so cheap easy to setup and user freindly. i cant choose

Its the mods that make them ornery.

They are all good motors when taken care of. Let the gas dry up in the carb, never change the oil, and they will all suck.

I am of the camp that says flatheads for vintage bikes and clones for DBs and other cheap builds. Sorry VW...

My favorite are the Briggs flatheads, especially the 5hp I/C motors. They are a great engine to modify. And they can take all sorts of abuse and still work. :thumbsup:

I'm old school, and love flatheads. I was raised on Briggs & Tecumseh's, and I'm very partial to HS40's & HS50's. I also agree with what was said above, flatheads for vintage bikes, and clones for newer/modern stuff.. There is just something that makes me cringe when I see a great old vintage mini with a clone on it that looks completely out of place for the frame.. Just my 2 cents..

-Marc

Good ole BS 5HP flathead. You can beat the shit out of them and they run forever. I have a BS from 1976 on one of my bikes...do that with a clone. I own several of the Preds so I'm not bashing them. They are not going to have the longevity of the Briggs.

toomanytoys

Good ole BS 5HP flathead. You can beat the shit out of them and they run forever. I have a BS from 1976 on one of my bikes...do that with a clone. I own several of the Preds so I'm not bashing them. They are not going to have the longevity of the Briggs.
I bet a clone will run for years.

I have two TECH's a hm100 and a hs50 they are great and a just built a honda 160 . I'am a framer by trade and built a honda 160 the was on a air compressor for 10 years ran 8-10 hours a day never changed oil just added when it wouldn't it start , finally the pump burnt up . It sat in the garage for 5 years and i decided to build it , took it apart and was in prefect condition . The cylinder was great quick hone and new flat top and burns no oil . From what i have seen honda builds the best strongest motor .

I agree. Any engine that is taken care of can run for years.

Its the ones that are left outside to fill with rainwater, caked in mud, oil never changed, fuel left to dry and varnish up the carb, etc, that die sooner than they should.
Nope no clone will last 30 years the gaskets and rubber will be junk long before then.

Of the ones I have, Honda gx200. Easiest starting engine I ever started.
Part that sucks a genuine honda coil cost some stupid $50... :hammer:

Cheap clones are my favorites. besides I'm going to beat them to death anyway, no sense in doing that to any classic or vintage engine they don't make any more.