What Motor for Minibike? Honda GX160 or???

Hey all,

Noob here with a mini bike I bought off craigslist. It came with a 2.5HP briggs that appears to be on its way out. I went to a local lawn mower repair shop to inquire about a newer bigger motor and was offered either a Honda GC, GX or Briggs motors.

The shop owner said he likes the Hondas the best and said the GX was a much better motor than the GC. I asked him what about Briggs motors and he said they were great too, but he prefers the Honda GX because Briggs doesnt offer the raptor motor anymore (or something along those lines).

That all said, if money wasnt a problem, would you get the Honda GX over a Briggs motor?

What if I want to get hop up parts for it down the road (intake, mufflers, etc) will it be hard to get aftermarket parts for the Honda compared to the brigs?

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!

GX160 it is! The only bummer I have with this motor is the color. Red, white on a all black mini bike doesnt look to sexy like sinner70's pic.

Any clue what I should be paying for this? I think he said around 400 bucks.

And thank you very much!

Right on! Thanks for posting that! Is that a jackshaft on yours? I was asking the guy about one of those and he seemed more interested in me using a torque converter. Or trying this motor as is with just a clutch and some gearing changes. I told him the 2.5HP motor I had was to slow out of the hole and I wanted to do burn outs! LOL.

I have no clue. maybe 40 with the governor removed. :shrug:
if you do remove the governor, install billet connecting rod and billet flywheel as I did.:hammer:

^^^ Thank you VERY much for the advice and help. I GREATLY appreciate it. Thank you again. I'll report back once I get my bike back with the GX160!