what motor is this???

i won this recently on ebay with a heathkit, and this engine was included with the purchase. it seems to be a rotax and the guy said it came off a snowmoble. i pick it and the bike up tommorow so i will be able to inspect it more throughly. please help to figure outwhat kind of motor this!! thanks!!!

i picked it up today and it is defintely a snowmobile engine. :thumbsup: it's got a tolliston carb on it and the serial tag says it is 335cc's!!!:scared::thumbsup::thumbsup:i hoping tio put this on something, maybe a mini bike or possibliy a gocart. a mini would definetly be cool.so i guess the question now is, do you think it would be possible? i will post pics of the shaft, carb,ect... as i take them.

oldsledz

18 HP out of a 1970 Ski-doo. I don't know what you would do for a clutch other than a original ski-doo clutch. Maybe have some work done on the shaft. I probably have a ski-doo clutch and secondary that would work.

18 HP out of a 1970 Ski-doo. I don't know what you would do for a clutch other than a original ski-doo clutch. Maybe have some work done on the shaft. I probably have a ski-doo clutch and secondary that would work.
wow 18hp!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup: you sure on that? it came with what looks like a belt clutch but is in peices. i will keepthat in mind that you have them. i was thinking of having the shaft milled and a keyway put in, but i don't know if i can even find a gasket set to tear the shaft out and replace the gasket. i would love to get it running but i don't really know were to start, never worked on a snowmobile engine. i tryed pulling it a couple tim es, and it seemed really stiff, but did try to turn over. it dosent have a gas tanl so itdidn't start. i just wanted to see how much compression it had. i tell ya what if i could get this to run and moddified for a mini it would haul some major:censure:!!!!!!!

oldsledz

I have some friends with a snowmobile salvage yard that sell new and used parts, I think they have gasket kits for that engine. 989 872-9965

it sounds like you are set for a drive clutch if you decide to use that type, it probably work good for a gocart, for a mini bike not so well.

thanks sledz!:rockon: i woul love to shove this in a mini, what about a heathkit boonie?:confused: i just got one today along with this motor. its in the project threads under ebay heathkit project. do ya think it will fit on that?

oldsledz

thanks sledz!:rockon: i woul love to shove this in a mini, what about a heathkit boonie?:confused: i just got one today along with this motor. its in the project threads under ebay heathkit project. do ya think it will fit on that?
I think it may be too tall for most minis , you might be able to mount it on a angle or even lay it down. Might be too wide also.
It would be a good trike motor.

ya i was worried about that.:sad: but i am gonna try my hardest though. any thoughts on how i get this thing started? it has two wires coming out of the block that i don't know what they are. you think if i gave it some gas and checked the spark plug i could get it to fire up?:shrug:

ya if its two stroke you could tilt it foward
:hammer:
i was thinkin it would be to big also but i guess if your thinkin bout a bigger mini it should b ok you could even put it in a little guy but ya better put some gussets in lol
if you had to put it in bacwards to get the clutch lined up you could even spin it back wards then start it in reverse & have the clutch on the other side & run a jackshaft

oldsledz

one wire will be for lights probably yellow, the other for a kill switch probably black.

if it has spark it probably will run the line from the gas tank goes to the bottom of the carb, if the carb is original it will have a return line on the rewind side of the carb.

Often the needle and seat will be stuck from sitting.

i was told mine is 10hp. hers a pic of my rotary in a db frame. way too big but would be cool! lol supposedly 35hp stock
man that thing is huge!!! i think i may be able to squeeze it in the heathkit i just bought but not sure, but i sure as hell am gonna try!!thanks sledz for the wiring issues! i do have a trike i could put it in, but i'd rather have it in a mini. if i can't get it to fit in my heathkit, then i think i will resort to building a bike around it!:hammer::grind: here is a pic of the boonie