What (Trail horse yr/model) is it?

So last night, thanks to this site, I determined that the Trail horse roller I bought last weekend has 6in Cat wheels on it. :thumbsup:

I want to restore this one and need help trying to figure out what model it is so I can put the correct wheels and brake on it. It has the turquoise paint under the grip, rear fender brackets and fender bracket delete on the front. It has the brake bracket on the rear of the frame. Does this mean it had a rear drum brake or did all the frames have this bracket? :confused:

The guy also sold me a box of random parts and in it was a single 4" wheel. Best I can tell is it might be a GTO100? IMG_8573.JPG IMG_8574.JPG IMG_8575.JPG IMG_8576.JPG IMG_8577.JPG Thoughts from the experts...

Woody

Trail Horse GTO 100 or 200. Depending on what engine was on it. Tecumseh 2 1/2 hp for the 200 or a Tecumseh 3 hp on the 300. It would have had a rear drum brake. The 4 inch wheel would be correct.

Last edited:

capguncowboy

It's a 300 or 400 -- the 100 and 200 didn't have a rear fender bracket. It also has the larger front steel wheel

EDIT: I'm no expert - I just know that my 100 didn't have fender brackets or a brake cable stop on the rear of the frame

Last edited:
OK now my original GTO 100 has both a front fender and a rear fender with four inch wheels and it has a clutch brake and so did the other two frames I sold , I kept the fenders off these bikes . you never know how they built and sold them

It's a 100 or 200. The 100 or 200 could have had either brake option. My guess itwould depend on the year. They were built from 69 through 71. According to my service manual it shows the 100 and 200 with the rear brake drum and straight bars. The manual shows the 300 and 400 with bent forward handle bars.

Last edited:
Also, the rear fender bracket was put on almost all the frames. I would suspect they built the frames for the non suspended bike all the same to make it easier. All they had to do was pull a frame off the rack and build whatever model they wanted. Maybe early on they didn't. Plus the fact that you have an original 4 inch wheel makes it a 100 or 200. The 300 and 400 came with 6 inch steel wheels.

Last edited:
Hey capgun, just so you are aware. The brake bracket/stop is a removable piece. Your 100 that you sold Derek probably had one but was lost when the wheels were removed.

It's a 100 or 200. The 100 or 200 could have had either brake option. My guess itwould depend on the year. They were built from 69 through 71. According to my service manual it shows the 100 and 200 with the rear brake drum and straight bars. The manual shows the 300 and 400 with bent forward handle bars.
Awesome! Thanks SimpleTom and everyone else for getting me headed in the correct direction on this thing.

Woody

capguncowboy

Hey capgun, just so you are aware. The brake bracket/stop is a removable piece. Your 100 that you sold Derek probably had one but was lost when the wheels were removed.
Like I said, I'm no expert! Thanks for the detailed explanation. As soon as I noticed the bent bars, I realized my mistake :thumbsup: