What welder should I buy.

I am looking to pick up a welder for small jobs here and there on the bikes. Im not looking to go out and buy a high end welder. What welders do you guys suggest? I would like it to run off 110. I really don't want to add 240 to my garage.

What models have you guys bought and liked or disliked.

Look around for the el-cheapo 110V stick welders. I have a few really, really expensive machines, and while there is no contest as to quality, I have an older "ARC PRO" 110V buzzbox that absolutely refuses to die. No, really... I abuse it. Badly.

You can get into a used 110V buzzbox for real cheap. I've welded all sorts of stuff with it with sometimes great results provided you know the limitations of the machine.

Arc welders are good for certain things, but MIG is real good for anything on a minibike. I have an older industrial brand (Ltec) but basically the fore runner to most benchtop models out there today. I've used a few of them, and the big thing about a small MIG, is having the ability to adjust the wire feed speed and current. And to adjust it infinetly, meaning without detents. So, if you need a smidge more feed or current, you can do it. Buy a brand you can get parts for. Can't go wrong with a lincoln or Miller, but I hear the Eastwood stuff is good too. There's only so much you can do beyond minibike stuff on 110.

I like MIG welding, but I really do hate paying for Argon. 110V machines can be run with helium in a pinch to produce a hotter arc if need be, although your nozzle may not appreciate it so much, depending on what you're running.

I've welded lots & lots of tubing with a 110V buzzbox. Keep your amps low, and be judicious. Pre-heating the parts really does help, especially with the thin stuff (although, it isn't necessary at all, and it is a lot of extra work for a marginally stronger weld).

That's just my 2 cents. Before MIG welders came along, bike frames were either stick or torch welded. They worked A-OK. :thumbsup:

Buying a welder in the morning to make custom frames and projecs buying from H F not sure which would be best a 170 amp mig/flux wire welder 22 volts @ 110 amps or a 270 arc welder which is a better one to choose

My personal opinion is to go with the stick welder. Sometimes, MIG welders can be tricky, especially when it comes to wire feed.

Stick on the other hand? Get some good, clean coat-hangers (or pre-fluxed rod... it's cheap enough!), clean up the spot you want to weld, & buzz along to suit.

i p m'd mopedman that i have a nice millermatic 110 mig welder for sale cart,argon bottle gauge ready to go like new plug it in and weld so if anyone else is looking its for sale the first $650.00 its yours!!!!