What's going on here?

I just got a 10in. Wheeled Roper I'm very excited about it, I've always thought they were the right size and comfort, I want a reliable trail bike. I've never had a working complete belt driven anything or any torque converter so need some schooling, it looks like I'm missing half of the driven? Will it still work? And what kind of driver or clutch is this?
looks like it's been running this way but I want to learn about it anyway.

oldsledz

It looks like you will probably need a complete driven clutch, yours is missing a spring and some other parts.
The bolts holding the 2 half's together should not be there, all it is now is a pulley, the 2 half's of the driven need to open as the drive closes as the bike gains speed.
It will work like that but not as good as it should. If you have never had the bike running be careful if you start it like that, the belt looks kind of tight ,the bike may take off as soon as it starts.

TomH

be better if you put a block to raise the rear wheel if you try to start it. I don't see any way it couldn't be direct drive. Have it pointed in a safe direction.

Good advice starting it but what about these parts? What does a driven tav pulley do and why do you need it if theres a centrifugal clutch on the engine?

TomH

From what little I see, the bike is set up for a tav. It will be a little more money wise to stick with the tav setup, but that is the best drive system out there IMO. You would have to replace all the pulleys with sprockets and buy a chain clutch to change it over and then all you would have is a single speed bike compared to a variable speed bike with the TAV unit. I would fix it right and be done with it you won't be dissapointed .

Put some gas in it and it runs kinda crappy, anyways I was revving it and nothings happening, the belt isn't moving so maybe the driver has been sitting outside too long and I'm thinking the whole thing is worthless, I don't have the money right now to mess with a tav system so this bike might get pushed to the back burner.

jrzmac

Put some gas in it and it runs kinda crappy, anyways I was revving it and nothings happening, the belt isn't moving so maybe the driver has been sitting outside too long or the whole thing is worthless, I don't have the money right now to mess with a tav system so this bike might get pushed to the back burner.

judging by the rust in those pics, I don't see those parts ever moving. both are supposed to be able to move in and out. from what I can see, half the parts are missing from the driven so someone actually bolted it shut. thats never going to work the way it's supposed to. And the driver part of the clutch on the engine looks like it's pretty much rusted shut. either your gonna have to take the torque convertor apart and clean and replace all broken parts, or get a whole new sytem? It's not cheap. close to like $200.00. I know of a video that shows how the tav unit it supposed to work.
at the start of the video, you can see where the belt normally sits, on the outer edge of the driven. as the bike throttles up, the belt reverses and rides in the middle of the driven and on the outer edge of the driver. it's actually pretty cool to watch, just don't try this at home. you should never ride your bike without a t/c cover. this was just for demonstration.

Go Kart Torque Converter In Action TAV2 - YouTube

That's pretty cool, I know the driver works on centrifugal force to grab the belt, but what are the ramps and spring for on the driven? To dampen the grab of the belt on take off?
I'm weighing my options on stepping to a larger engine and running a regular clutch but a whole other problem with clearance awaits!

That's pretty cool, I know the driver works on centrifugal force to grab the belt, but what are the ramps and spring for on the driven? To dampen the grab of the belt on take off?
I'm weighing my options on stepping to a larger engine and running a regular clutch but a whole other problem with clearance awaits!
you can see as he speeds up the belt comes out farther on the driver and goes in the driven. thats what changes the grear ratio depending on speed and torque nessesary. and thats why a tav works so well. it automaticly changes the gear ratio for optimum power. the driven is just spring loaded to take up the slack as the driver moves in and out. they work together