When schilling a bid doesn't work

MikeBear

I don't know, I don't see any obvious signs of shilling in this case. I think he simply set the reserve HIGH, and hoped for the best. Sometimes it works. Ebay auctions auto-relist themselves 3 times in a row unless they sell.

First time I list my auctions, I first scope out what others have actually sold for, and then set mine HIGHER. I quite often get a lot more money for the stuff I sell, compared to other sellers. Better listing, better photos, and admit EVERYTHING as to shape and looks. Don't try to hide anything, it'll end up biting you in the butt later.

It works for me...

MikeBear

3 bidders with 100% with seller....ya...could be.:shrug:
Shills are far more likely to be NEW registered bidders with NO feedback, or very LOW feedback. It's rare for them to be 100% perfect feedback types.

P.S. My feedback is 100% perfect, always has been, and I've been registered on Ebay since 1997...

MikeBear

Re-read what I wrote. Nothing about 100% bidder rating. It is 100% bids to one seller.:eek:ut:
Nope, I then don't get what you are saying. There's 7 bids total on that auction, from 4 DIFFERENT bidders.

How does that make you believe there's a shill in the batch? I'm curious, because if you are right, it's something for others to look for. I just don't see any reason to believe any of them were shills, and I'm pretty good at finding those myself.

MikeBear

Hard to believe you have been on since 97...and haven't figured it out yet. It is pretty simple to see a shill bidder. Unless one person has some cool stuff and that's all you bid on. An average action may have one or possibly two people with 100%...but 3 out of 4 bidders....not likely. Enjoy your weekend Mike.
Then you haven't scoped enough auctions for yourself. Just because 4 bidders on any particular auction have 100% feedback, that's not necessarily a sign of shill bidding.

Ebay has millions of bidders and sellers, and like a billion auctions posted at any one time worldwide. There's no reason to assume that 4 100% feedback bidders out of all those might not bid on any particular single auction at the same time.

Here's just ONE of my auctions. 7 bidders ALL with 100% feedback: http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=181535286299&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

I have plenty more where that came from, no shills in the batch.

Good seller, good product listed right, and it brings the GOOD bidders.

Last edited:

MikeBear

I think you guys should "ARM WRESTLE" or at least......THUMB WRESTLE!:001_cool:
It's not my fault he either can't explain his theory correctly, or is refusing to take me step by step to explain it clearly if he thinks I don't get it.

Saying another guy is shilling auctions without proof is Libel, and legally actionable if the guys wants to sue. It defames the guy publically without a chance to clear his reputation. On Ebay, seller reputation is everything.

If I really don't get it, HE needs to explain it, because I can't be the only one who doesn't. Going off in a huff doesn't help anybody, and does nothing to prove his case for or against.