Why wont my crank side cover fricken seal!!

I have been through 3 gaskets, smooth the 2 contact surfaces tried the gel type gasket maker nothing seems to keep oil from leaking out of my side cover!!!!! my next attempt will be with Mr. Gasket fiber sheet but before i spend even more time on this i was wondering if anyone here has any solutions?:eek:ut::censure::confused::hammer:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I had this problem a while ago. I would ping the whole surface of the block where the sidecover seals. It makes the gasket stick into the block and not move.

Later I would see if I have a picture in my photobucket.

1st ck the valve cover and is sure the breather is working sometimes if your valve cover breather is stuck it will push oil out of seals and gaskets !

awhile ago my buddy had a gx390 on his minicup kart that would leak oil out the side cover gasket , he changend the gasket 3 times still leaked I ck it for him figured somethig was warped couldnt find anything evident at that point I cleaned block and side cover with carb cleaner dried it off gave it a coat of aviation gasket cement (Indain Head ) on the block and the cover put a newgasket over the dowels and put the side cover back and it didnt leak for the rest of the season , It just sucks to clean off when you remove the side cover but the stuff seals great with gaskets hope it helps !

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Ping the sidecover
You bang star shape dimples into the surface of the block where the gasket seals on. This locks the gasket in place.

Ping the sidecover
You bang star shape dimples into the surface of the block where the gasket seals on. This locks the gasket in place.
okay tried cutting my own gasket...no luck
tried pinging...no luck

what about doubleing up on gaskets and using utv black sealant?

i order 2 new gasket that i am going to stack and try again. :censure:

You sure your vent isn't plugged? Are you using a torque wrench and following a general torque sequence?

Obviously you were in the engine, what did you do?

TomH

I have used silicone gasket goop. Put it on fairly thick, barely snug cover, like hand tighten the bolts. Let dry overnight and snug it up in the morning after it has set up. Works on old chevy motors anyway.

tried pinging...no luck

Pull the cover and clean both cover and case,take pictures so we can see what your looking at.

jrzmac

I had the same problem on my H35. I had to get this Permatex Gasket Sealer. I think it's a black tube. I cleaned the block and the cover as best as I could, then put a thin bead of sealer along the block and the side cover. let both sides get tacky, maybe 15 miutes or so, it tells you on the tube. then place the gasket on the block. then put the side cover on. when tightening the bolts, use a criss cross pattern, and tighten everything down. I don't have torque wrench so I just tightened the screws as best as I could. Let it sit overnight, then put the oil in the next day. no more leaks after that. hope it works for you. you can get the Permatex stuff at any Autozone, or Advanced Auto Parts.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
tried pinging...no luck

I just have to say your doing it wrong. If I had it in my own hands it would be sealed within 10 minutes. But trying to explain over the internet and have the person comprehend it is the hard part.

well the junk OE threads ALL STRIPPED!!! so i drilled them out to 5/16th and doubled 2 gaskets and shes sealed!!!! BUT NOW i cant get her to start? so tomorrow i will recheck vavles, spark, and fuel and hope for the best :(

spray tack permatex ....like sticky red spray paint....coat both sides ....let dry till tacky....presto....no more leaks.....this stuff has worked for me were others failed....good for soaking cheap paper gaskets (wicks into them).....especially good when a paper gasket is in contact with liquid....