wisconson Robin WR-145 carb conversions???

markus

I picked up a beater bike the other day. Its got a Wisconsin engine on it, I think its a 4.5 horse. It has a runability issue, It fired up easy makes great power, no smoke, and super quiet. BUT its missing an air cleaner assy, it will only run with the choke almost fully closed, and the linkage assy is a mess, They literally were riding it with the throttle setup in reverse (twist the throttle to go to idle, so I am shocked the forks are still straight as a arrow :laugh:)

I dont even know if this is in fact the right carb for it, Its a Keihin and actually looks like a clone style carb. I did yank it off,clean it (it was actually pretty clean) and installed a missing gasket. It performs the same and may be due to no air box. The spacing is real close to the Tecumseh carb, I can get it slipped down the studs and the spacer block matches pretty good (will have to open up the stud holes a little, and it will be a tight squeeze to get the nuts on).

Just wondering if anyone has run one of these engines and done something like this. Not trying to do anything fancy other than make this a usable inexpensive bike for someone.

Itype2slo

I have one on a cat strong engine. a clone air filter will fit on it. Mine has an old mikuni carb on it will try for better photo later

markus

cool, either that (good pic) or if you see a part number on the carb or something to that effect. Thank you!

Itype2slo

Have to take kids to karate. Try for better pics later. They came with mikuni industrial carb. Can't find model # just miskuni Corp Japan. Please don't look at linkage as I am knucklehead.

markus

Thanks, that definitely a different configured setup than the carb they cobbled on, Gonna sniff around and see if I can maybe find something on the cheap before I give to my offshore charter boat captain neighbor for an anchor :laugh:

markus

Little update on this, Yesterday morning I decided to take a dremel to the mount holes in a standard Tec cab to see if using one on this engine would work. All I had to do was oval them inwards a bit and yanked the long studs the engine currently uses to mount the carb. I used some alenl head bolts instead wobbling the holes for the smaller spread on the robin engine also allowed to wiggle the bolts through the carb. Even used a stock tec gasket and wobble the mount holes on that too.

One pull, adjusted out pretty well and runs really well, it is however hard to maintain midrange so its difficult to just cruise on, That may be a combo of clutch condition, and throttle throw though (I was not going to put much effort into this, I had to buy the bike to get to other parts the shop had). If you are considering using one of these engines I will say I am pretty impressed with the pull and power it has!!! And Karl has a sweet deal on an NOS carb for one!!!! Could definitely get creative with head (maybe cut off all those tabs and loose the tin), the angled plug looks kinda cool and it could maybe be stuffed in a smaller frame. I rode it around most of the morning till the Po-Po ended up in the neighborhood :laugh: Sold it last night on CL and it was picked up this morning.

As you can see it was a full on custom cruiser :thumbsup:

Last edited: