Worn born

I have a briggs 5hp #130202 engine on a kart that I've been working on. The problem is oil is getting up into the head. I purchased a new set of rings, installed the top ring about 1" down into the bore and measured the end gap which was .014. Now, I know I'm shooting for a gap of .002. Now, if I were to install a set of .010 rings would that minimize some of the end gap ?

This kart is a parking lot kart, not a track kart so I'm not seeking perfection, just trying to cut down on the oil infiltration. Since it's a Kool Bore block I know boring is discouraged. I don't have a bore gauge to measure the bore.

Suggestions ? The engine was made in 1979 so I really don't want to sink a lot of money into it.

If you want the best fit without boring and a new piston you can buy oversize rings 020 030 then fit the ring gap to the tightest part of the bore wiht a file and feeler gauge the best way to check end gap is to use the piston and rod no rings on piston slip ring in cyl take piston by rod insert in cyl upside down push down to square ring with bore to get accurate measurement using the oversize rings in a loose bore does 2 things to control oil compsumption and compression loss it allows you to determine ring gap and puts extra tension on rings to cyl for better seal oldtimers trick for worn engines have fun i think speedway sells a ring gap tool to cut gap square

If you want the best fit without boring and a new piston you can buy oversize rings 020 030 then fit the ring gap to the tightest part of the bore wiht a file and feeler gauge the best way to check end gap is to use the piston and rod no rings on piston slip ring in cyl take piston by rod insert in cyl upside down push down to square ring with bore to get accurate measurement using the oversize rings in a loose bore does 2 things to control oil compsumption and compression loss it allows you to determine ring gap and puts extra tension on rings to cyl for better seal oldtimers trick for worn engines have fun i think speedway sells a ring gap tool to cut gap square
So I could use a .020 ring and file it down enough to get the .002 gap I need without using a bigger piston ?

This sounds like an easy fix to my problem...

For the cost on an old engine its worth a try if your on a budget some of those brigs rods and pistons are 100 dollars and then machine work to fit but still the best if you want top of the line me i like to make due on toys with what i have easier for me to find used engine from scrap yard or farm sale then let the big bucks go for parts but the harbor freight sale new clone for 99 coupon is a popular fix on here for worn out engine but might mean new clutch and other mods depending on your project Better check that .002 gap seck before you put together sounds too small as ring gets longer as it heats up thought rule of thumb was .003 per inch piston dia could be wrong been wrong before ha ha

Last edited: