Wrecked MB165- Need Part Fit Help

What color choice to repaint the bike?

• Paint Bike Hunter Green

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Paint Bike Dark Blue

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Paint Bike Honda Red

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other ( Post in thread any Rustoleum spray paint color)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was hit by a car riding my MB165 that I restored over the past year while making a left turn in a neighborhood intersection. I was driving and signaled with my hand my left turn. The car tried to pass me in the intersection and the bike and car met. The front fender hit first and the left foot peg broke off and went into my foot. I was then thrown from the bike.The bike deflected off the car and fell over on its left side. I had to get stitches and my left foot was crushed but nothing broken. The bike suffered some damage but nothing too bad. The foot peg mount broke off and was thrown away along with the brake lever. The headlight got damaged.The throttle conrol and cable and broken ( they must have been caught on something and got pulled) and grips have bad road rash. The front fender had gotten bent and the whole bike has minor cosmetic paint damage. Valocalrep fixed the foot peg mount, twisted fender, and dented tank already ( thanks again). I need some help knowing if these parts will fit as I really don't want to have to return things.I also have posted a poll if anyone is interested in helping me decide for a new color to paint the bikes body metal ( frame will be repainted black).

Will these parts for my 2005 MB165?

Mini Bike Throttle Control - Taco Mini Bikes - Hunt Wilde Grips

Throttle Cable - 48" Inner Cable 43" Conduit

DB30R-124 Baja OEM Brake Lever

http://www.OldMiniBikes.com/Mini-Bike-Foot-Pegs.html

Last edited:

joekd

Unless you really love the OEM parts (which I didn't) consider this a great chance to upgrade some parts

I use plain old bike shop cables and any brake lever for a 7/8" bar will work (I went with heavier MX style ones that aren't "curly Q" like the OEM baja ones)

Also for pegs I use Harley pegs on my baja's, they are solid, not hollow like the OEM ones and actually last

I went for a better seat and some MX handle bars to make riding a little more pleasant.

Something else to consider if you are used to the Thumb type throttles on the ATVs instead of a replacement twist grip.

Head over to a shop that sells and fixes those Chinese bikes.
Odds are there are a lot of parts there you can adapt to your mini for minimal cost.

Yes you got me on that. I hated the original engine so it now has a GX160 on it. I'm trying to keep it on the cheap so I will look around and see what I find. I do a lot of dirt biking so maybe some aftermarket Honda parts may work:thumbsup:
I usually prefer twist throttles because of dirt biking but that's a great idea to use a different throttle. It would be interesting to see/ride a bike like that. I will keep it in mind if I can get one for a good price.My seat has a custom cover on it but I might add some foam under it to help with the ride some.

Last edited:
Joe's avatar is small but here on mine you can see the kind of stuff we are talking about.
Most of my alternative parts I got from Source 1 Imports.
Prices are very reasonable when you start talking about used parts from scrap bikes.

Note about foot pegs.
Mine are 5/8 bolts drilled and ground to fit and work.
There is a weight issue there but they were cheap.

All the motorcycle graveyards closed up in my area so I will need to locate new parts or look on craigslist for parts bikes. That's one sweet baja mini

I decided to go with this lever for the brake Longhorn Quick Adjust Clutch Lever Assembly | Dirt Bike | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC . I have a similar one on my 81' CR80 that I really like. I'm not really sure I will have need to quickly adjust the brake on the fly though:shifty: . The brake cable is fine only the lever is damaged.
I can't find any throttle twist housings online but the one that is on OldMiniBikes. They all just say what bike its for and not the actual specs.
Will the throttle work that is in the link in the first post along with the cable?

Last edited:
I got the paint today and have begun painting. They didn't have any dark blue at the store so I went with hunter green instead. The only blue they had was the Sail Blue the bike already was ( kinda like smurf blue lol). I'm very pleased with how the fenders and tank came out. The frame will have its first coat of black tomorrow.

Yea I got a little hurt but nothing too bad. I had to get some stitches and sprained my ankle. A lot of road rash too. Definitely not riding on the road again now with all these crazy drivers in my area. No one got a ticket or anything, it couldn't be determined what actually happened as we both had different stories of what the deal was but I'd rather not talk about that much.

I like the full fenders but I also like the trimmed ones too. I decided to keep them stock and just straighten them out again. The bike is custom but very mild in that aspect. It appears stock but has upgraded tires, engine, seat, rear light, and had the blue paint. It tops out at 25mph which is fine for me. I bought it in worn out stock form from a pawn and restored it last year after a brief period of me making it into a flat black "rat rod". It had low hours on the engine but the bike had clearly been left outside uncovered and the tires were bald.The Honda GX160 I bought for it new for $100 had a odd sized crank so I had to swap out the crank and cam with the clone engine making one sweet clone that had good Honda parts in it. I also swapped the flywheel as the clones has a coil setup to run lights. It was and hopefully will be again a great looking bike.