WTB: Tecumseh HS 40 Engines

[/B

Wanted: Tecumseh HS40's with Model Numbers of 55388C or 55331C with the tag and good shape shroud. Running or not. Let me know what you have.

Thanks OldMiniBikes!!

markus

[/B

Wanted: Tecumseh HS40's with Model Numbers of 55388C or 55331C with the tag and good shape shroud. Running or not. Let me know what you have.

Thanks OldMiniBikes!!

a 55356C is a correct mid year version for 1971 Rupp Roadster HS40 engines as well :thumbsup:

Thanks Markus...as everyone is probably aware, these are getting harder to find out there. Here is the first one we just finished. 20180314_135326.jpg The 1/2 conduit exhaust is only for testing purposes.

markus

Looks great, just an FYI if you want it to be "correct". the 55331C like you have was actually the last version to use the standard intake and diaphragm carb, Like this one I redid for someone awhile back.

The early in the year revision to 56C was the introduction of the slanted intake, and the later 1971 revision 88C indicated the final small changes for the next couple of years of production till they went to the square shrouds and heavier flywheels ( about 1975 55388E). So if you are building more of them you could always swap those parts out at a later time :thumbsup:

you also want to salvage off your original carbs the choke lever ( I do the throttle lever as well) if you going to retrofit a new one on. They are a direct fit to those H50 carbs that BWM sells as replacements, but not to the HS replacment carbs......so the lever does not interfere with the exhaust.

Best of luck with your engines!

Thanks Markus...Yours looks great too. I do have the the original standard intake and diaphragm carb for it but it would take some work to get it rebuilt and cleaned up. I replaced them with a new BWM slanted intake and float bowl type carb. I have purchased OEM HS40 carbs on Ebay and carbs from BWM. The choke lever on the OEM's stick straight out and the ones from BWM are bent up an an angle. Why the difference in the two?

markus

Thanks Markus...Yours looks great too. I do have the the original standard intake and diaphragm carb for it but it would take some work to get it rebuilt and cleaned up. I replaced them with a new BWM slanted intake and float bowl type carb. I have purchased OEM HS40 carbs on Ebay and carbs from BWM. The choke lever on the OEM's stick straight out and the ones from BWM are bent up an an angle. Why the difference in the two?

I did a thread about retrofitting the levers, might help explain it a little more- https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/...t-oem-carb-choke-lever-modification-hs40.html

Markus,

I just found two new diaphragm carbs on Ebay. Will the standard HS40(#33301) slanted intake work or not? If not, what is the Tecumseh part number for the one in your picture and does anyone make repops of it? I have one intake but now I need a second one. Thanks ever so much...

Markus,
I just purchased two diaphragm carbs off ebay and I want to use them on future motors to be correct. What is the Tecumseh part number of the standard intake like the one in your picture above and does anyone re-pop them that you know of?
Thanks for the info..

markus

Just look up your engine number, the parts listing will show the part number for the intake you need if you are making it "correct". I'm not sure off the top of my head what the standard intake part number is. I may have some spares if they are NLA.

capguncowboy

You can use the slanted intake but it defeats the purpose of the diaphragm carb. If you want to make a correct Rupp engine, then use a standard intake with the diaphragm carb on it.

delray

capguncowboy
You can use the slanted intake but it defeats the purpose of the diaphragm carb. If you want to make a correct Rupp engine, then use a standard intake with the diaphragm carb on it.
yes,that is how are minibike came new in 1971(columbia/mtd)4hp silver/crossflags.
here is the weird part. it as the teeth on the flywheel for electric start. but this engine never had. i guess thats not uncommon to
see in the early 70's tecumseh (crossflags) motors for minibikes.

capguncowboy

capguncowboy
yes,that is how are minibike came new in 1971(columbia/mtd)4hp silver/crossflags.
here is the weird part. it as the teeth on the flywheel for electric start. but this engine never had. i guess thats not uncommon to
see in the early 70's tecumseh (crossflags) motors for minibikes.
As far as I know most of the H25, H30, H35 and HS40 engines had starter teeth on the flywheel. The only exception to this is the lighted engines. I've never seen a small frame mini bike engine with a starter though.