yamaha Chappy 80 questions/new member

hello everyone. new to this forum!

late last summer i picked up a Yamaha Chappy 80. it hasnt ran in a few years. but it did run. im not the most amazing mechanic but i rebuilt the carb and put some gas in it and then the petcock started leaking! but thats kind of where i am at with the bike. its going to be my summer project.

but the other issue with the Chappy is that the kick starter shaft is stripped out. its a splined shaft which was stripped when i bought it. but its in decent shape for its age so i figured it would be a fun little project. i dont want to rip the whole transmission apart to replace the kick start shaft,so my other thought(s) would be to drill a small hole through the kick pedal and shaft and put a roll pin through it and see how that works. but the shaft itself is only about a 1/2" in diameter maybe even smaller. or possibly welding the kick pedal onto the shaft.

another option is to just get rid of the chappy motor all together and kind of customize a 125cc Lifan motor into it and go from there. im not sure if the stock motor is any good or if the oil injector works. lots of questions.

but as of right now im going to get a petcock and then try to bump start it and see what happens. parts are pretty hard to come by. ebay has alot of parts but if anything major goes wrong id be screwed.

I have an older version of it the lb 80 champ , mine is a mostly original bike and works great

As for the kick starter on a few of my older bikes I have weld the lever on
It dosnt need much just a bit on the face , that can be easily ground off to remove it
Your not going to damage the shaft any more than it already is
Just watch the heat because off the oil seal