You know times are tough when..............

HAHA!! Yes they did as a matter of fact.. How did ya know that? :confused: There actually is pretty good fishing in the lake through the ice.. Spongy had them from last year.. The veggies are from his garden too.. Right next to the jugs of wine and all kinds of other Homermade stuff.. :laugh: When times are overly tight, ya GOTTA do stuff like that.. I doubt Darth chooses a Schwinn Scooter.. However, Blue Gills on the wood stove is no contest.. Thats a nooooo brainer there.... Better than Mcdonalds any day.. :eek:ut:

oldsledz

Just a guess, it's the only lake I know of down that way.

I got this Ice sled at a flea market this summer, the lady selling it said she got it from the estate of a 93 year old man that used it on Duck Lake in Calhoun County.

HAHA!! And ya have to cook blue gill fillets on a Pot Belly wood burner.. :laugh:

Perch and eggs for breakfast was a treat growing up! We had some big ass bluegills in the pond I still own, they're fun to catch and delicious to eat! A sweet tasting fish and in the hands of a skilled fish cleaner they yield a good amount of meat. I have caught a bunch of yellow perch on lake of the woods ice fishing in my uncles shack and we cooked as many as we could eat. I sent hundreds home along with some nice walleyes packed in dry ice and enjoyed them once home. I still fish for food every chance I get and we now have hybrid sunfish that get huge in some close to home fishing lakes here in OKC. I live less than a mile from my favorite one!:thumbsup:

Just a guess, it's the only lake I know of down that way.

I got this Ice sled at a flea market this summer, the lady selling it said she got it from the estate of a 93 year old man that used it on Duck Lake in Calhoun County.

That looks so simple and cool but the seat looks a bit rough.:laugh:

Oldsalt

Thanks for the steering explanation....Any clue as to how the throttle worked? That is a really cool device! Wonder why they aren't manufactured. Maybe with a more aggressive drive mechanism and wider and somewhat longer skis and it would be a blast in the snow, not just ice.

oldsledz

Thanks for the steering explanation....Any clue as to how the throttle worked? That is a really cool device! Wonder why they aren't manufactured. Maybe with a more aggressive drive mechanism and wider and somewhat longer skis and it would be a blast in the snow, not just ice.
The throttle is like on a lawn mower, it's on there but not hooked to the engine in the photo.

There were a few companies that made them Sears (David bradley) and Fox the same one that made the mini bikes made them, here is another one I have it's a Simco power sled.

Simko Power Sled pictures by oldsledz - Photobucket

Oldsalt:

In living memory we have gone from crude ideas like that thing to modern motorbike like comfort on the snow....

I remember the golden age of the sled when you went in groups, had a few drinks on the trail and didn't go all that far. The machines weren't all that reliable, a crash meant you rolled in the snow more than anything else and they were hell on your back lol.

That much said I don't think there are too many riders that want to go back to a 1970 Elan or even a high end sled of the day. Not only has technology changed but the culture changed.

You used to ride to get someplace like a cottage or ice hut. You used to stop and talk to people because this was novel and someone stopped might need assistance, and ofcourse my fav a trail of beer bottles would lead to a good ice fishing spot lol.

Now stop on a trail you get run over...
People ride to ride and see where the trail goes ( kids also add break and enter and steal all you gas at the camp )....
Drinking and driving is no longer funny at these speeds....
And something as simply as affordable is gone too with insurance and trail permits high fuel costs....

So you can envy the old man that rides that thing on the ice, but intodays world its not practical...

im a little young to rember some of the stuff back in the day but iv been riding since i was born even when i was in my moms belly & ever since birth in 74 so i know what you mean bout old sleds & the way it was iv lived it & learned alot from old stories from parents & uncles its in my blood & will never leave
:hammer:
i love that little wooden sled thing & maybe i'll build somthing like it some day thanks for the pics

Oldsalt

I spent most of my life in Southern and Central California [I don't tell too many people that here in Washington] and did not know anything about snowmobiles until moving up here. Twenty years ago I bough a pair and my youngest son and I would ride all the time back then. You are right...I started seeing the change. More and more the percentage of riders tended to think they were Racer Joe when in fact they would not know a competition machine if it came up and bit them on the leg. Started getting dangerous on some trails.