Dr. Shop Teacher's - "Lil" Indian Model 600 - (Vintage Class)

View attachment 93534

Not sure how the lil indian fender brackets on the rear were originally attached, but if it were attached on a few degree angle, it would definitely bring in the rear of the fender. Just a thought as it looks from the pic that it truly insn't 100% straight above the axle. only a few degrees would make a huge difference.

Pat
:thumbsup: the fender bracket sits just about level (with the engine plate/seat stap top bars) front to back on my 600.
Alright guys, you are both on track. Pat's musings are exactly what Eric (OND) and I were working on last night through PMs. I used AJ's provided measurements against the "cremains" of the originals to locate the new bracket, so it's in the correct location. The angle does impact the location of the fender and it's fixable. See next post.

All you need is a.....

Not only does the bracket have to be located in the right place, it has to be at the correct angle off imaginary vertical. A minute persuasion by a iron worker's favorite tool and, voila! Thanks, [MENTION=47323]OND[/MENTION] (Eric) for reminding me!

Off to the coater....

I spent about 4 hours (and dearly paid for it, later) sanding the frame to clean up the flap disk marks from the repairs (Vibratory sanders make mincemeat of a healing back). It's pretty good for being 52 yrs old but not new looking. So, it's done and delivered to the powder coater to be blasted and made purdy.

Oh, I did put it in a vise.....but....didn't think to let it cool before I picked it up! :laugh:
Thank you, Tom!
A Little spritz of coolant goes a long way when drilling stainless. Helps your bits also. The cable stop looks great. It's really not that far from an original and probably works better.

I think you nailed it on the fender Pete! Most of the bikes and such have the fender located as you show it. More to the back of the bike. Also, I'm not sure what you were doing as far as paint on the jackshaft plate but I believe they were color matched. Not that it really matters since it's pretty well hidden but just wanted to mention in case you weren't sure. My original has factory color on it. I think the accessory version you could buy separately were silver.

A Little spritz of coolant goes a long way when drilling stainless. Helps your bits also. The cable stop looks great. It's really not that far from an original and probably works better.

I think you nailed it on the fender Pete! Most of the bikes and such have the fender located as you show it. More to the back of the bike. Also, I'm not sure what you were doing as far as paint on the jackshaft plate but I believe they were color matched. Not that it really matters since it's pretty well hidden but just wanted to mention in case you weren't sure. My original has factory color on it. I think the accessory version you could buy separately were silver.
Thanks, I'm going for the early look so the bike will be one color and close to the "Sunset Red" used originally.

markus

Good job on the fender, looks way better :thumbsup: couple of the frame I had in the past looked like they slightly twisted them for fitment after they were welded on. they were always repainted or modded bikes so I dunno for sure if that something that got done over the years or if they just weren't very precise at the factory.

I know you worked hard on your brake cable adjuster, but for next time :wink:........

Vintage NOS Bicycle Brake Caliper Cable Adjuster w/ Mounting Bracket - Qty of 1 | eBay

That ones not exact match to the LI used one, but if you swap the adjuster out to bolt head instead of serrated it should look more old school. But I bet you can find a good match on an old bicycle frame or brake caliper. I had spotted them at one time on a certain brake or bike but cant find the info. from what I remember though it didn't do much good, the only way to get it was to by the entire used piece it was mounted to.

Good job on the fender, looks way better :thumbsup: couple of the frame I had in the past looked like they slightly twisted them for fitment after they were welded on. they were always repainted or modded bikes so I dunno for sure if that something that got done over the years or if they just weren't very precise at the factory.

I know you worked hard on your brake cable adjuster, but for next time :wink:........

Vintage NOS Bicycle Brake Caliper Cable Adjuster w/ Mounting Bracket - Qty of 1 | eBay

That ones not exact match to the LI used one, but if you swap the adjuster out to bolt head instead of serrated it should look more old school. But I bet you can find a good match on an old bicycle frame or brake caliper. I had spotted them at one time on a certain brake or bike but cant find the info. from what I remember though it didn't do much good, the only way to get it was to by the entire used piece it was mounted to.
Markus,
(PM also sent) Thanks for the link! The stop was a "quickie." :laugh: The hard part with some of these builds is all you have are photos...some are grainy originals or only restos. I was really wondering if the only cable adjustment was at the caliper since the brake lever is also non-adjustable.

Pete, if you'd like dimensions on an original cable stop just let me know. I don't have any extras but I can get you pictures and specs if you prefer to make a new one.