Search results

1. M

Ignition Parts and Timing for HS40

I'm always starting very boring threads. I appreciate your patience . . . I'm redoing the ignition on an HS40 55388C for a Rupp Roadster; thorough cleaning, new coil, points, condenser. The head of the screw holding the points in is shot. I don't see one in the parts list for this engine...
  2. M

Possible to replace stripped stud on a HS40 blower housing?

I'm restoring an HS40 for a Rupp mini bike. One of the 4 studs in the blower housing for the recoil starter is stripped beyond repair. The studs look like they are pressed into the blower housing from the inside. (Hopefully they are not welded in!) I'm wondering if I can press out the bad one...
  3. M

1970 Rupp Orange Paint Code - Can't Find It

Anyone have an orange paint code for a 1970 Rupp? I found codes for the Blue and Red but not orange :confused: Someone said it matches the Chevy engine orange but I'd be more comfortable with a code since that orange engine color in spray cans may vary from company to company (like...
  4. M

Question on painting

FWIW - I'm in the same boat in my restoration. I have some metal parts which, after removing all the paint and soaking them in Evapo-Rust to remove the rust, are pitted . I've been playing around with JB Weld epoxy and find it's more like a runny glue than a putty. It really smooths out rough...
  5. M

How to paint an (HS40) engine

Wow! Gorgeous!! I'm actually painting my engine and tank the 1970 Rupp Silver Metalic. If I can't find something very close in a rattle can I'll have to go with a special order mix and do it with my air gun. I prefer the rattle can as I've had really good luck with this kind of painting in the...
  6. M

Rattle can.
  7. M

I'm trying to restore a Tec HS40. Just wondering if I need to lay down a coat of primer on the engine and engine parts I'm painting before spraying it with the final coats of paint? I'm removing the old paint now and it doesn't look like the factory used any primer on it before painting. I can't...
  8. M

1970 Rupp Roadster Engine / Gas Tank Silver Paint

The blackwidowmotorsport.net website lists a silver paint code for 1970 but it doesn't say it's for the engine or gas tank. Can I assume this color is for the engine and gas tank and that they are the same color? Anyone know if the code they list "Microfine Silver", "MB 516" is the right color...
  9. M

What sprocket for 1970 Rupp Roadster

I broke a tooth on the jackshaft. I braced a crow bar on the sprocket to remove the bolt on the other side to paint the frame. The bolt didn't budge and a tooth on the sprocket snapped off. :hammer: I had to cut off the bolt with a grinder and now I need a new jackshaft and a sprocket. I know...
  10. M

Correct Oil and Refresh for Tecumseh HS40-55388C

Just got a used Tecumseh HS40-55388C with Lighting for a Rupp Roadster restoration and have a few basic questions. What oil did Rupp say to use in this engine? What oil should I use in it in the Northeast in warmer weather; say 50-95 degrees? With no gas tank ready for it yet is there a...
  11. M

Techumseh HS40 55388C for a 1970 Rupp Roadster?

Will the wiring plug from the engine connect OK to a 1970 wiring harness?
  12. M

Techumseh HS40 55388C for a 1970 Rupp Roadster?

OK, I know this engine probably isn't an exact match for a 1970 Rupp Roadster. I haven't found the serial number but the engine is black. It has the rounded cover and it has the lighting pack. I think it must have been from a Roadster II - maybe '71 - '73? Besides color, is there any difference...
  13. M

1970 Rupp Roadster Torque Converter

I'm new to this forum and appreciate in advance any help I can get. So the bug bit me a bit later in life and here I am trying to restore a 1970 Rupp Roadster to try to relive my boyhood. I had no idea how hard it was to find parts!! I've kind of given up on finding the original Rupp drive for...