Possible to replace stripped stud on a HS40 blower housing?

I'm restoring an HS40 for a Rupp mini bike. One of the 4 studs in the blower housing for the recoil starter is stripped beyond repair. The studs look like they are pressed into the blower housing from the inside. (Hopefully they are not welded in!)

I'm wondering if I can press out the bad one and replace it. I don't see these studs listed as separate part numbers - only as part of the blower housing.

Any ideas on where I can get a stud in good shape? Is it possible to press out these studs without damaging the blower housing?

Thanks!!

capguncowboy

You could get a bolt with the same thread pattern (1/4-20), grind it down so the head is thin and attach it from the inside.

I've wondered about this too, but haven't actually attempted it just yet.

markus

They are spot welded on, you will rip the shroud if you try to press or pry them off. I have pressed them off later model shrouds that I was just going to throw out in the past and ground off the leftover bits of the shroud that remain on them to reuse on on other shrouds. Best to carefully grind the head down on the damaged to get it off the shroud. Gotta watch your fin clearance when installing any type of replacement very limited amount of room on the pre 1974 lighted small frame engines!!!!