Search results

1. J

unwritten rules?

My young hunting buddies were not around during the mini bike craze. They were somewhat impressed with my "jimmy gote" I built, but were saying I should have just bought a junk dirt bike, used those wheels and forks, and frame, and rebuild that motor or just buy a real dirt bike. I tried to...
  2. J

wheel hubs

What I am looking for is an all purpose hub. One that will accept sprockets, wheels and brakes. Be way cool if the width was adjustable. Would really like to have a front brake on the Jimmy Gote and replace the rear hub at some point. I do not have access, yet, to a lathe. I do have some ideas...
  3. J

limiting heat distorsion

I do a bit of welding. Mostly learning as I go. Mostly learn what not to do. Still have issues with warping, twisting. I try to not weld in one spot too much. Try to bounce around so as to even the heat buildup. Still get some nasty bows and tweaks. I built a safe door and had to use the one...
  4. J

Important shop accessory.

Bandaids. Ya bandaids. I used to get some from Respond that worked great. Cloth type, glue that stuck for days, and different styles. Knuckle, finger tip,ect. Been trying to find some that work. Bandaid brand work great, if you wrap electrical tape around it. Wally world has some off brand...
  5. J

Dang it!

Local add is for two "Tote Gotes". One is a Tote Gote, other is similar but I don't think a real Tote Gote. They want 130 bucks each OBO. Pics look like they need tires tune up, etc, but all there. Paint even looks good. Seats are a wrap and staple a chunk of unknown type. Mostly look like they...
  6. J

metal lathe.

I been thinking I need a lathe. Never touched one before. Been watching the Craigslist adds. Not sure a mini lathe is worth the trip, but to get something bigger, even used, seems 2-3,000 can be gone fast. How hard would it be for an old bastard to learn to use one? How many of you have one? Do...
  7. J

aluminum frames

ok, so the jimmy gote is about done and I'm thinking about the next one. Thinking of buying a TIG welder and need a project. Soooo, I was thinking of something a bit more lighter then the 320lb jimmy gote. So a 6.5 clone and an aluminum frame. But never worked with much aluminum. Any issues I...
  8. J

What would you do different next time? Add yours.

I know we all look at a project and think,"If I had it to do over I would do,,,," What? Add yours. For me on the "Jimmy Gote" I think I would plan on removing the gas tank, air filter and exhaust and use or make new ones. With a 13 horse I had a height issue. The stock motor was so high that...
  9. J

A warning on "Farkles"

A short story I wrote a couple years ago, thought maybe some of you might enjoy. Keep in mind if you do, it most likely means you aint all there. "Farkle" A motorcycle term, similar to "Bling" or to add a touch of class, no purpose, just farkle, or to farkleize. Who knew any harm could come...
  10. J

any ideas for a seat latch?

On my "Jimmy Gote" I have a hinged seat to get access to the gas tank, air filter, battery. But I need some sort of latch, either mechanical or spring, or rubber snap, or ?? to keep it from bouncing around. Maybe something like the old side panel rubber grommets on the 1970's motorcycles? Really...
  11. J

charging systems

Getting ready to hook up electrics on a 389cc clone, Champion motor. A friend asked about a voltage regulator. I assumed it was built in to the motor. I can not find specs on the output on this motor. Other brands list either 3 or 10 amps. 3 amps and no regulator would be needed, but 10? Could...
  12. J

straight pull throttle

anyone sell or has anyone made a straight pull throttle like on the early Honda 50 mini trials or I believe some of the Tote Gotes? I like the idea of the cable not being bent or sticking out in the open. Plus a cool factor, and look cleaner.
  13. J

reversing clone motors

A friend and I were noticing the Honda/clone motors have the cylinder facing the wrong way. If it pointed out the front of the bike it be so much more room, better cooling,etc. A couple ways to do this. One is have a cam made, change timing and the motor would run "backwards" so you could turn...
  14. J

Give me a brake!

Wanted to bounce a few ideas off the gurus here. On my heavy weight (Porker class) "Jimmy Gote" I am building, I am not getting the braking action I want. I have a 6" band brake on the rear axle with a long cable going to a lever. As it stands, squeezing the lever is more of a request for less...
  15. J

Lets talk throttle control

I did a search and couldn't find anything much. What I am after is more refined throttle control. I know these motors are made to run at a single speed so we have an uphill battle. I am running a 389 Champion. I hooked the throttle cable to the factory mount. The throttle gets harder to turn the...
  16. J

series 30 clone TC

Anyway to make the driver clutch engage at a lower RPM? Weaker springs? My "Jimmy Gote" seems to need more RPM to engage than I would like. Seems to have plenty of power to handle it. Any ideas? Mine is an Ebay Chinese series 30 clone. I checked my center to center spacing and I might be 1/8 to...
  17. J

tool kit/ first aid supplies?

Not sure if this was the right forum for this, but here goes. I assume most of you don't ride very far from home or camp. But some of you must visit the road less traveled? what is in your tool kit? What spare parts or supplies do you carry? And where/how do you carry it? I think I may add a...
  18. J

What are some of your favorite chemicals?

Not mind altering, but automotive types. I like Loctite for stuff I don't want to move, and anti seize for stuff I want to move later. I have used a 2 part epoxy putty sold at hardware stores for plumbing repairs to mold parts or glue stuff where you don't want the glue to drip. I found a...
  19. J

chain and sprocket size 41, 40, 420, 428

I bet this has been beat to death on here, but I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for. From what I can tell all sprockets marked #40 are not the same. 40 and 41 are the same pitch but different width. 2 sprockets I have are marked "40" but are thinner, I think to fit 41 chain...
  20. J

vent holes in frame?

I have welded up a lot of deck gates, truck racks etc. Always drill a small hole in the lowest part for moisture to drip out. Seen several metal handrails that didn't have them that formed water inside, froze and swelled up like a balloon to the point of splitting. I do live in Arizona but it is...