1/3 scale John Deere tractor , anything goes class

Ok I am in for round two lol

As many of you know I love old tractors and built a 1/3 scale Allis Chalmers last year so I have wanted to build another so what would be cooler than a baby John Deere model 40

It will use a snowblower auger drive for a rear end , and a 97cc doodle bug engine for power
the front wheels are 2.5o x 4 and the rears are 4.80 x 8 , boat trailer fenders to be cut up for rear fenders

The rest of the parts will be fabricated as needed lol

My pile of parts

My Allis Chalmers

John Deere model 40

This build will take some time , lots of metal work to get the right look for the hood , grill etc.

I've seen his other tractor live its unreal , the work is top notch . So that said this should be unreal also . Keep up the tractor building Rob .

I followed your Allis Chalmers build and it turned out beautiful. Thanks for participating and I'm sure this one will be just as great.

Thanks guys I love the coments

To me there is a real feeling of acomplishment with a scratch build

I am still in the planning stage and drawing on every scrap of paper that comes my way lol

I ordered a replacement carb and tractor tread tires from OldMiniBikes

Started working on the rear end tonight
The input shaft was in rough shape , it had been cut off with a torch and was badly rust pitted

I pulled the housing apart and removed the shaft , put it in the lathe and cleaned it up
Had to leave a shoulder for the thrust washers and grease seal , took the rest down to 3/4 "

I will be putting a 30 tooth sprocket on the input shaft and a 12 tooth on the end of the drive shaft , then the front end of the drive shaft will have a 40 tooth sprocket driven by the 11 tooth clutch

The rear end is has 11 to 1 reduction , so when all added up it will be running close to 100 to 1

The rough looing input shaft

On the lathe

All cleaned up and ready for the input sprocket

Took some measurements and started making some cardboard templates , hope to get more done tomorrow night

The rear end is has 11 to 1 reduction , so when all added up it will be running close to 100 to 1
Nice work saving the shaft. I was looking at this thread the other night and thinking for a little kid it would be cool if full throttle only ran about 5-7 mph with lots of torque. :thumbsup:

Spent the day working on the rear end , chain reduction case and drive shaft tube

Made a cardboard template and traced it on to some 1/8" steel

Cut out on bandsaw and ground smooth , 1 3/8" holes for bearings

Testing sprocket alignment

Stand off posts for cover

Sides of case filled in

Drive shaft tube attached to cover and case to rear end

Inside the drive shaft tube , the drive shaft will be full length the short one is for mock up

Tomorrow I will start working on the input end of the drive shaft tube and engine platform

nice bet that was a long day but worth it that looks great. Is that a harbor freight lathe? My brother just picked up an atlas. hes refurbishing it now. cant wait to make some chips :smile:

Last edited:
The reason for the reduction box on the rear end is for two reasons , in order to get the proper rotation on the axles the input shaft had to be on the bottom and would make the driveshaft tube way to low
It also needed lower gearing so the 2.5 to 1 reduction worked perfect

nice bet that was a long day but worth it that looks great. Is that an atlas 6" lathe? my brother just picked one up. hes refurbishing it now
Yup a lot of work but worth it lol

My lathe is a made in china selig 7" x 24" from princess auto here in Canada , same as the ones sold by harbour freight , it works fairly well for being fairly cheap I have the matching milling machine too
I have had to spend some time setting up the "ways" to get rid of slop , but it has worked good for teaching myself machining but just makes me want a bigger one lol