14cc head

I got a blown gx 120 motor, is this the motor with a 14cc head? I am new to these motors and this hobbie, so do not laugh to hard:thumbsup:

i'm pretty sure you're correct about them only being on early GX160s. from what i've read, it's not worth it to mess with the GX120 heads.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
The 14cc heads came only on 2 motors. The gx140, and early gx160's. The gx120 head is about 10-11cc but the valves are tiny, and ports are a little different.

The 14cc heads came only on 2 motors. The gx140, and early gx160's. The gx120 head is about 10-11cc but the valves are tiny, and ports are a little different.
The early 160's, are those the lighter flywheels that give you a little more timing -vs- the 200 flywheel ?

Also I got my motor going with the 390 set up, I went with a 100 main and it seems to be fine on the big end. Only problem I am having is it has a choppy idle, and dies when I let the rpm get to low. To rich, to lean, maybe not running the fuel pump is the cause ?

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Yeah some had a thinner flywheel. That's what they called it, and they had 3 more degrees built in it. Honda changed them for safety reasons, but they seem to work well for the QMA guys. Then QMA made them illegal because of the advantage in the super stock class.

Maybe you don't have the air fuel mixture screw setup properly. That will normall keep just enough air in the carb to make it idle, and not cut off. Other than that you will have to keep the butterfly cracked with a high idle.

The little brass nipple on the butterfly side, it has a little screw that turns about a half, is this the air fuel mixture screw ?

Thanks for the flywheel info. I pulled one off an old 160 I had along with the 14cc head and flattop piston. I'm curious with the flattop and 14cc head and the 200 head gasket, how much compression should I see when all bolted up ?

Not sure about stock carbs any more, but it's there somewhere. I haven't played around with any stock stlye carbs in a long time.
Broke my header at the flange last night making a pass. It was pulling pretty good up to that point. Night and day difference from the stock set up. I will keep tweeking on it untill I get it to idle smoothly, thats my plan anyways.