1950s Johnson pressure type fuel tank question for ya old outboard guys

MB165

ok you outboard guys heres a question for ya. I have a 1956 johnson CD13A 5.5hp. i want to take out and run next week. Fifteen years ago I got a nos johnson pressure type fuel tank for it off ebay so i sold the old one for it. i think it is a later production with maybe left over parts because of the decals.... my question is should i replace the primer diaphragm in it? its never seen gas, i figure it would be easier to mess with before filling it.

btw I got the engine from my high school vo tech automechanics teacher...he gave it to me when i was 17 that was back in 1988. 15 years ago, i pulled it down and resealed the lower and power head, new points, coils, impeller, carb. rebuild, tested in a barrel and its just been sitting ever since, the insides are like new! ill get some more photos up later today.

Last edited:

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
should i replace the primer diaphragm in it?

If you feel you don't trust it, change it.

But, its never seen fuel, so it should be fine. :shrug:

I would just mount it on the boat,put the lower unit in a garbage can of water and give it a try.just fired up a 115 that has been sitting for at least 5-7 years and ran like a top,no issues

nice engine.my Johnson is bigger :laugh:

I have a very deep affection for the JW and CD.

The later versions of that engine had a fuel pump and it could be adapted without much fuss.
The reason OMC dropped this system was for liability.
More than one boat burned from a fuel leak, I myself have seen this happen and I new the poor man still suffered from years of pain after he tossed the leaking tank in the lake and the fire spread on the water ( he was a smoker BTW).

The CD block became the 6 HP made up into the 70s so there are a lot of parts to borrow from ( also thermostat housing that makes warm up and cold water operation more easier )

As I recall CD13 is the 3rd year of production for that generation block.

I own a QD10 ( 10 hp production Canada ) I never upgraded it to a fuel pump and my old man rides me about it because of the fire I mentioned.

MB165

haha i remember those big johnson tshirts
lets do a post your old boats/motors thread.....I got a 1968 wards catalog runabout with a 45 hp chrysler, going on it out next week

nos.....yup there are tons of used parts available for this motor, i think its the first year red changing from green, and 1957 had a nicer badge on it but what the heck. its like the old farmall tractors, itll probably be around in a hundred years still running. i thought it was really neat when my teacher asked if i wanted it, i got permission to drive from the highscool to the votech on lunch hour to pick it up. he also gave me a old sachs 27hp rotary engine, i wish i never sold that now.
i know that tank setup is dangerous, especially on a low tank of gas, opening the cap it releases so many atomized fumes. never would have thought about the fire on the water i bet that tank was just shooting gas out the hose feeding it.

we have a shop on our eastern shore american outboard motors inc. they have a website too, several morton buildings full of hundreds of motors, parts motors, controls, accessories, its a dump but its cool to stop in when going crabbing or to ocean city.

know its funny now that I think about it...
You said, I got the engine from my high school vo tech auto mechanics teacher...he gave it to me when i was 17 that was back in 1988.

If I remember right I brought home two of them myself from my High school auto mechanics teacher about the same year.
I traded a modified Clinton Saw Motor ( Pete was a kart racer too in the old folks league ).
I made one from the two of them and should have kept that engine ( like so many other things of the era I ended up parting with it for no good reason ).

They are probably the most fuel hungry 5.5 you will ever own, but did they ever troll nice and still push a long a small boat at a respectable pace on the way to a fishing hole.