196 cc clone engine on baja warrior

On my 2013 warrior, I got the 140 emulsion tube and a .038" main jet. It really helped with the lean condition and surging. I changed out the exhaust for a pipe and the mini RLV-91 muffler. I also got a K&N filter and adapter. I have ordered a 6 degree advance timing key. Next I will get a little higher lift cam and some 18# valve springs. Oh, I also did the zip-tie trick on the governor spring (I saw it on YouTube) and it works really well. I like the fact that you do have some control over how much you are over-riding the governor. I guess a torque converter will next on my list and then I'll leave it alone until I get more "disposable funds".

Last edited:
Nice. I see Gokarts USA has performance kits for the Honda/Honda clones.
How do I do the zip tie governor trick?

I've been wanting a Rokon, but they are a bit pricey.
Was looking at the Baja and wondered a few things.

1. Can these be modded into a cost-effective Rokon replacement?
I realize the front wheel drive would probably not be feasible. Other than that, can they be as useful on the trails as a Rokon?

2. Are there any fuel tanks or dry storage containers that can take the place of the fake gas tank?

3. After modding the engine, what would be the real world weight capacity? The Rokon can carry a lot of weight. I'm looking to be able to carry 300 pounds, including rider.

4. Are the Baja Warriors (or equivalent) still made/sold? If so, where?

I have a hard time finding the funds to buy a Rokon or a brand name ATV for hunting.
A Baja, I could swing.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, I am NOT wanting to tweak an otherwise stock engine by disabling the gov.
If I am going to increase HP/torque/RPMs, I am going to build it to withstand the performance increase.

Just didn't want anyone to think that I want to wind a stock engine to 8,000 RPM.

I just want to know if I can make one of these bikes do what I need without spending $7,000 on the Rokon I'd like to have.

I see a lot of potential in these mini bikes.
I'd like to put larger diameter wheels/tires on it, also.

I want it to be the best it can be without sacrificing safety and durability.

I'm not sure exactly what capability you need but my Heat(same thing as a warrior) does really well off road. I have a black mamba jr. cam in it for the torque but I believe you can get away with just a TAV. I have a gas tank for a motorized bicycle on my mini its not a perfect fit but it is a functional tank. I believe that the weight rating on the warriors are about 200 lbs. but I have had people ride my mini that weighed more than that. I'm just going to say bypassing or removing the governor on a engine is frowned upon on OldMiniBikes.

What is the max rpm these engines will run with the governor?
I obviously don't need an 8,000 RPM engine.
I don't think so, anyway.
I want loads of low and mid range power.
I do want the top speed to be a good bit higher than stock, but I'm not looking to use it as a mini drag bike of a flat track racer :D

I want to use it for hunting, instead of an ATV.
I also want to run up and down the logging roads at the hunting camp for fun during the off season.

Debating whether to mod the OEM engine or replace it with either a Predator Hemi or a Powerhorse 208 cc (Northern Tool) engine with electric start.
Any engine I use in it will get modded, of course.
I think the electric start would be handy in cold weather.

BTW, where did you get your motorized bike gas tank?
I'd like to remove the fake tank and install a second tank for more ride time between fills.

Last edited:
The engines are governed at 3600 rpm. With a tav they will run about 40 mph. The clone can be modified just as easy as a predator. My mini has the original clone in it but the only thing that is original is the block, side cover, lifters, pushrods, and rockers with a original style carb. I Google a motorized bike gas tank.