1963 Steens Timberline

Smallbore

Here is my newest find. It`s a super rare 1963 Steens Timberline. For those too young to know, Steen made the Taco minibike, which Steen started building in 1963.

In 1958 John Bonham started building the “Tote Gote” and John Luther started building the “Trail Gote”. There were several other companies building these moto-tractor type bikes in the 50`s into the mid 60`s with Bonham`s Tote Gote and the Rokon Trail-Breaker having the longest production run.

This was John Steen`s version of a moto-tractor or “gote”. As far as I can tell it met a quick death and was only manufactured for one year in 1963, as I have never seen a magazine ad from 1964 forward. Perhaps It was too Hi-Tech or just too late in timing as the minibike craze had begun. At the end of the year in 1963 Steen probably looked at his sales figures and saw that his Taco minibikes were selling at a much greater ratio than the Timberline, so it was dropped. (If anyone has any solid sales figures, please let me know).

The Timberline featured a Continental engine, several custom cast aluminum parts including front and rear scrub brakes, swing arm, front fork protection cover, and a cast handle for the 2 speed transmission. Its most unusual feature is the 2 speed open cog transmission driving 2 chains to the rear wheel. Left side of the rear wheel has a large sprocket, and the right side has a smaller sprocket. By moving the shift lever front or back the rider had an option of either a 24:1 or 12:1 gear ratio.

According to the original owner, he added the tool box in 1963. He also said he laid the bike down in some rocks shortly after he bought it and broke the fiberglass shroud and ripped the seat, and no longer had it. During restoration I will make a new shroud and seat.

Smallbore

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/photopost/data/4164/medium/1428.jpg

[img]http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/photopost/data/4164/medium/1814.jpg

The engineering is awesome on those Palmini machines, the casting on the components is top notch and everything else is well made. I've seen one here on OldMiniBikes but they are very rare to be sure, congrats on finding such a bike.:thumbsup:

Smallbore, I saw ths on craig's last weekend when I did a quick scan before I went down to the Fresno Zoo. My mouth was watering because I tried really hard to get the other one that popped up to go with my Steen's Lil Pal ort Palmini whichever it was. Didn't pursue it because it was quite a bit of cash and takes up quite a bit of real estate lol

Here's your lineage:

I'm pretty sure when GoKart folded it left Steen without a product. To me it looks as if Steen bought out Palmini's minibike design and tweaked it to his liking. Not sure who started the Timberline project, but it's obvious it's based on the Palmini minibike frame and has the Palmini parts all over it.

Also looks as if Steen got his Frijole from Bill Matthews by buying the Rocket Cycle design and making it cheaper to produce and ship.

Here's my Lil Pal or Palmini project - Not sure what it started as, but building it as a Lil Pal because I like the Garbro wheels and have a set for it.

Never seen another one of these or even pictures of one.

markus

Here's your lineage:

I'm pretty sure when GoKart folded it left Steen without a product. To me it looks as if Steen bought out Palmini's minibike design and tweaked it to his liking. Not sure who started the Timberline project, but it's obvious it's based on the Palmini minibike frame and has the Palmini parts all over it.

Also looks as if Steen got his Frijole from Bill Matthews by buying the Rocket Cycle design and making it cheaper to produce and ship.
Palmini continued to use that design...well sort of, they modified it to fold up :thumbsup: they made really cool stuff! (this was from Summer edition 1971 Mini bike world magazine a spin off from cycle world)

Palmini continued to use that design...well sort of, they modified it to fold up :thumbsup: they made really cool stuff! (this was from Summer edition 1971 Mini bike world magazine a spin off from cycle world)

I was going to post that too, but didn't get to it yet.

I also have pics of another Timberline in rougher condition.

Smallbore

Smallbore, I saw ths on craig's last weekend when I did a quick scan before I went down to the Fresno Zoo. My mouth was watering because I tried really hard to get the other one that popped up to go with my Steen's Lil Pal ort Palmini whichever it was. Didn't pursue it because it was quite a bit of cash and takes up quite a bit of real estate lol
Its funny as I told my wife I know of someone that may be going after it, (thinking of you) and I need to act fast. The seller had listed the wrong phone number on the listing so I emailed them 3 times before I got a call from them. When I called the posted number, They said that someone from Bakersfield had already called on that listing and also told them it was a wrong number.
I had to drive through thick smoke to get to their house as the forest fire was raging on the north side of the lake and evacuations were in progress. Lucky for me the town of Onyx was on the south side.
Mac said that Only me or James C would buy such a bike, but I know there were more of us out there....
:wink:

Also, if you didn't think about it and want to do a search on here don't forget to enter Palmini Playboy

Spudman had one and that's what he called it just like the craigs ad for yours.

Smallbore

Also, if you didn't think about it and want to do a search on here don't forget to enter Palmini Playboy

Spudman had one and that's what he called it just like the craigs ad for yours.
Oh yea.... I saw that thread after I brought this one home. Unfortunately I did not see the original posting and now all that remains is a perma-thread with no pictures.
The fiberglass shroud on mine is long gone, but I have enough photos to pattern one. Just have to find the time to do it. Since it will be a one-off I`ll just shape a foam pattern and glass over it. Certainly no market to justify making a production plug.
According to MAC Pal-Mini was a foundry that made lots of different components for gokarts early on, and I guess at some point started their own line of small minibikes for a bit ?

One of the mysteries is, What does Play Boy have to do with anything ?
Perhaps the pattern maker ? :shrug: Palmini was the metal caster...