1968 Sears Spyder from Wulf country

I've been on here long enough and have never done a project log so what the hell. Here we go.

I know its nuts but I actually drove from NY to Knoxville, Tenn......WULF COUNTRY (a mere 1300 miles round trip) to get this 1968 Sears Spyder bike also known as a Bird Lark. I have always wanted one and these very rarely come up on Ebay or CL.....if ever!!! Certainly not the prettiest mini but it represents the late 60's and early 70's banana seat craze like no other minibike.

I have a little headstart. This was Day1 back in the fall of last year.

I straightened the forks and cleaned up the seat a bit.

And this is what I hope she will turn into. Taken from a 1968 Sears catalog. My ID plate matches this catalog number.

Gonna strip the frame and forks next.

Steve this came from my back yard . Is this the one you ask about me holding for you ? Well i like it looks like it going to be a great project .:thumbsup:

Stripped her down and hand sanded the frame, fork, hbars and fenders with 220 grit then 600 then 1000.....smooth as a babies butt. Ready for some primer next then original red paint. Wheels came apart nicely and they were they split style which surprised me since the Drover I just completed has sold wheels.

The frame came out so nice I was half tempted to put 3 coats of clear on it and call it an El Tigre Syder :laugh:

Last edited:
Great Find! and good work on the resto!. When you start looking for the seat and rear bar. those are Troxel parts. I have the same seat in metallic green. you should be able to find one with a little luck. just search troxel on eBay.:thumbsup:

Great Find! and good work on the resto!. When you start looking for the seat and rear bar. those are Troxel parts. I have the same seat in metallic green. you should be able to find one with a little luck. just search troxel on eBay.:thumbsup:
The seat is actually in really nice shape and the rear bar is original. There is a small tear in the seat at the seam but I'm good with that. Thanks for the info though ME. I will be checking the Bay. :detective: