1968 Taco 99

R67

Here is my Taco project.

:smile:

I started off by cutting or griding off non factory welded items on the frame. Then I dismantled it and remove the the paint with a wire wheel. I am currently re-welding poor stick welds, cracks and foot pegs on the frame. The original fork was in bad condition so I bought a 70 Taco 22 to get an original fork. I now has two 22 frames.:eek:ut: Progress will be slow on this project so I will post photos if major items change.
:thumbsup:

R67

The rim is wide 6" with a 5.50 tire. Does anyone know if this was an option or they all came with 5" rims.

The serial number starts with 8A. Does anyone know the difference between the 44 and 99? The only thing I could see was the engine size.

I believe the 99 came with a 5hp B&S and that is what I am picking up this week for the project.

Hounddog

Yes you have a 68 Taco 99. The 44 and 99 shared the same frame. The 44 came w/ a 3hp briggs. The 99 came with a 5hp briggs. Both frames utilized the fork with the lower springs. The middle spring came on the 1969-70's bikes. Looks like a good start!

HD

R67

Picked up a motor and other misc. parts today. I am trying to gather all the parts before I really get deep into it. Does anyone know were I can get new B&S 5hp stock stickers. I am going to paint the motor metallic dark gray.
:smile:

R67

The purple works with the copper color, I am definitely considering the original color. Purple with gold engine, done deal.

You have a copper engine and you are going to paint it? I wouldnt. the try star wheel is wrong. You need taco wheels.
I am always in a lookout for the original wheels and front fork for this project. For now, I am just trying to get it going. The wheel can be replace easy but I will be buying extra paint for the front forks if I find one after I paint it.

Last edited:

1stlegendtx

P – TACO 22, E – TACO 33, T – TACO 44, A – TACO 99, H- TACO 100

Mine starts with 8A, 1968 Taco 99. There is no "T" anywhere on the serial number.

Does anyone know the difference between the 44 and 99?
:doah::doah:Your correct. I don't know what the h*ll I was looking at:doah::doah:. I agree with George3 leave the engine the way it is.:thumbsup:

R67

It's been awhile since I started this project. I started working on my Lambretta TV200 instead. I am now back on it and have collected all the parts that I needed to finish the project. I haven't decided on how I want to paint it. All I know is that it will have two colors, one being Plum Crazy. Hopefully I can finish it this time.

Dan-E-boy

wow! shocks cleaned up nice:thumbsup: when you wrote you will have two colors.. did you mean two colors to choose from, or will be painting the bike two tone?