1971 Bolens sprint still in crate x2

banjo

Hi all I found two 1971 bolens sprint 440 triple snowmobiles still in crates. Anyone know much about them? I never messed with bolens sleds before. And the 440 triple I have never seen. Ring any bell with you guys ? Thanks Dave

banjo

Yes 2 complete sleds .I just took some pics. of the motors but having prob. getting them on my comp. anyway the (old) guy I got them from and his 3 brothers wanted 4 but got a better price buying 6 new in the crate sleds. They set up and used 4 and these 2 never had been set up.. 40 years of sitting in an old warehouse was not nice to the chrome parts. I hava the motors home . the sleds are going to be a treat to get as there up in a loft and I had a hard time just to find them.. This place is wall to wall,floor to ceiling packed with shart . more on that later.:scared:

banjo

I heard of them. I do not think they made sleds for very long back in the day. We need pictures of these sleds.
Correct 67 ish thru 73?.. I think they had there own engine. I wonder how one would work on my ultralite plane .3 cyl. = smooth .I have a 1cyl zenoha on it and as soon as I lift off I feel the full vib. and fear of the abuse on the plane . Heck with the plane I don't want to fall that far lol.:no: I'll get pics up soon. Dave

banjo

Have you checked out this site, There maybe more people that now about Bolens sleds on there.

Vintage Snowmobiles, Vintage Sleds and even Vintage Snow Machines.
I signed up on the vintage sled site the other day but asked here cause I know theres sled guys here . As you can see I am not a big poster this is my fav. site . nastyz28 .com is my other. Anyhow the sled site just seems dead. I'm going to get the sleds this week (I am working on the building) and I will try to get pics. of where they are in there. If I don't get eaten by a big rat or something:surrender: Mess does not describe this place. O yeah the roof leaks so it just stinks in there. Dave

Kappy

Hi all I found two 1971 bolens sprint 440 triple snowmobiles still in crates. Anyone know much about them? I never messed with bolens sleds before. And the 440 triple I have never seen. Ring any bell with you guys ? Thanks Dave
OK Here I am!! You got my attention! I am a Bolens Sprint collector and once a week google the heck out of the words to see what comes up and this forum popped up.

Long Bolens story short. They made the sprints for 69 thru 72 and had various models for each year. 1971 they made the triples and they were bad so switched engine manufacturers for 1972 then went out of the sled biz.
So on that note I don't know what the engines are really worth dollar wise considering those circumstances. I see a TON of the 71's around as parts sleds and usually missing the engines. Maybe boat anchors? Or weights to hold down the easy-up tents?

Maybe I miss understood in reading thru the thread but are the engines separate from the machines?

sweet I love that kind of story just stumbled upon some 71 tripple sleds... I wish that would happen to me lol
:doah:
I would find out more about them befor putting it on the plane cuz it really could be worth some $$$ you could get just about any engine to use for the plane good luck lets see some pics of sleds and engines

banjo

well I stopped at the bldg. to plan how to get them down 12' then thru the 1' wide TRAILS in there. I"ll have to drag out a 1964 chevy 2 ton steak truck (heeped by the beverly hillbillys) . :doah: Back to sleds Yeah.at first i thought the motors might be hirth's but turns out they are made by bolens (scrap plane idea). If only these were rupps:facepalm: They have the flip up headlites and wide tracks. Oh yeah they are still ugly even after 40 years!! lol. I have to make one be cool . kappa let me know if your need'n stuff. Still did'nt get pics. yet. Dave

Kappy

well I stopped at the bldg. to plan how to get them down 12' then thru the 1' wide TRAILS in there. I"ll have to drag out a 1964 chevy 2 ton steak truck (heeped by the beverly hillbillys) . :doah: Back to sleds Yeah.at first i thought the motors might be hirth's but turns out they are made by bolens (scrap plane idea). If only these were rupps:facepalm: They have the flip up headlites and wide tracks. Oh yeah they are still ugly even after 40 years!! lol. I have to make one be cool . kappa let me know if your need'n stuff. Still did'nt get pics. yet. Dave
Dave, What are your plans for these sleds? Are you looking to dig them out and sell them or keep them? Are the engines in them or crated separate? You ask me if I'm "needing stuff"? Yeah those machines! lol Not parts. Even with rusty chrome I have to still imagine they are NOT parts sleds. But we'll wait for pics and see what they look like. thanks

banjo

there was not much crate left (board frame with damp cardboard skin). just getting them out of bldg. took over 3 hrs...
buried in stuff up in 12' high loft . I had to dig to get to them,lift them with ropes ,swing them over a 8' wide mountain of stuff then lower them to floor. (by myself) wile e coyote would have been proud . Then still had to get them thru the narrow trail I made to get them out side . Tons O fun... Dave

Last edited: