1972 Ramrod

Hi all.
My name is Jim.
After building a couple old mopars over the last several years, I decided to restore an Arctic cat Ramrod I've had for years. It was running when it was stored probably 10 years ago, but, going to tear it down to the frame.
During my last car project (1966 Dart GT convertible), I was on for Abodies only and got a ton of great help. I'll post pics as I go, and probably be asking questions.
Nice to meet you all.
Jim

I lurk and get help off of the B Body side. Welcome to the site. Seems for a lot of us hot rods, muscle cars and minis go together. Lots of Arctic Cat fans on here as well.

Ding Ding

anyone know of a source for wheels that will fit a ramrod? I think these are shot, and they want $360.00 a wheel to rechrome
I do not know of any replacement 10" spoke wheels, however, many bikes including Rupps (which they made many of) came with 10" spoke wheels. You could potentially find a decent used set if yours are not worth saving.

You can buy replacement spokes & nipples for 10" wheels from Black Widow Motorsports, assuming your rims are salvageable.
#51-042-0001 ARCTIC CAT 10" WHEEL SPOKE AND NIPPLE 1972

Also, any handlebar and front for tube repops? Or do I have to send those for rechrome?
Nobody is reproducing the exact Arctic Cat style handlebars that I am aware, and nothing regarding any fork tubes. I would have the originals re-chromed for sure. I have had several handlebars re-chromed for about $100 each, and lower fork tubes for around $50 each.

I am still interested in seeing your bike as is. You can email me pics at miker9050@gmail.com if you want to share.

Mike

Ding Ding

Here is said Ramrod.

I wanted to see pictures to see whether or not it truly needed a restoration or not....and after seeing this picture I would agree that is certainly restoration worthy. I've seen these bikes in worse shape than that, but also much much better. Luckily the bike appears complete and original so you have a fairly unmolested specimen to start with. The exhaust looks to be cut and welded in a couple of spots, which could be repaired again but it would be nice to find a solid original that hasn't been cut up. Looks to need an air cleaner and tail light as well. Keep an eye out on Ebay or make a listing in the classifieds here on OldMiniBikes.

I’ve ordered a lot of what I need, including the tail light. The bracket is still there. All new cables, seat cover, most all of the bushings etc. I guess I’m going to bite the bullet and spend the $$$ to get the wheels rechromed. Any chance anyone out here has a wiring diagram? The harness was cut at the switch and apparently pitched? The switch looks to be in very good shape!

Air cleaner is needed. I also ordered a clutch cover. As it stands, I think the air cleaner is about all I need?
When I get all the parts back, I might have figured out how to post pics and I’ll keep you updated.
I had an arctic cat when I was a kid, so it’s kind of a labor love. I guess!

You have a good eye. The exhaust has been brazed a couple times. I’m going to hunt for another, if not, the welder will have to clean it up for me!