2023 El Camino Vintage Motorcycle Show & Swap Meet

race

Anyone going tomorrow? It's a fairly big show.

Mostly motorcycles but there's usually a scattering of minibikes and minicycles.

Love seeing all the old stuff. And being a swap meet there's lots of parts, gear and knick-knacks to be had.

Bring yer umbrella just in case!

1696019145911.jpeg

race

And I think my fav was this French Terrot. Don't remember the displacement but all kinds of neat features and design.

Single cylinder twin piper two-stroke. Looks like a comp release on the head. Three speed shifter next to the tank. Carb comes out the side of the cylinder. Generator stuffed back where the carb usually sits.

20230930_103039.jpg

Your hands are going to be busy between the front and rear brake levers, clutch and comp release. I didn't get them in the shot but the pipes end in those tall, narrow squished mufflers like a Velocette fish tail exhaust.

Anyone here familiar with these bikes? The owner said no problem getting parts out of Europe.

race

Hey @race ...thank you for the pictures !

Primary colors really pop on mini bikes.

On that French bike...get a load of that starter sprocket. That's beautiful.

Well, if you mean that empty sprocket, that's actually the right side foot peg it's attached to. If you look carefully you can see a similar left side foot peg thru the frame, but without a sprocket attached. I couldn't figure out what that sprocket was for. There's nothing attached to it, there's nothing at the rear wheel it could go to, nor any connection to the motor. However, it does allow you to rotate / swing it up about 3-4 inches and then back down to the fixed foot peg position ... but it's not connected to anything. You can see the actual kick starter in front of the right side case.

I asked the owner and he didn't know either. I was really tempted to get it but for the moment just out of room in the garage. Hopefully he's there next year and I can fire it up and test ride it at the show. He had a trailer full of other 'Euro' bikes ... that of course, now I'm wishing I had taken a lot more pictures of everything. :):scooter:

race

BTW - I saw a bike there - forget which one - but it had the throttle on the left bar end. I was wondering, after so many years of street bikes and dirt bikes .... racing moto, etc .... if I would ever be able to get comfortable with something like that. lol

race

Oh geeze...I see the Kickstart up front now.

I didn't even notice it when I was looking at the carb.

:)
Ha! That's why the old stuff is so fascinating! They tried out all kinds of nutty ideas back then. If you ever get to a good vintage show, check out a Brough Superior if they have one. There are so many little gadgets / widgets on those bikes it's crazy. Like a Swiss watch though with really great engineering. Vincent have a lot of that too.

BTW - I saw a bike there - forget which one - but it had the throttle on the left bar end. I was wondering, after so many years of street bikes and dirt bikes .... racing moto, etc .... if I would ever be able to get comfortable with something like that. lol
I bet it'd be like hopping on a British bike, after riding Japanese bikes...a couple of laps around the neighborhood and you'd be all set.

Now as far as conditioned automatic responses in time of emergency...that's another thing !

Tell me...for some reason I thought I had seen left hand throttle on old Indian bikes, but am not sure ?

Ha! That's why the old stuff is so fascinating! They tried out all kinds of nutty ideas back then. If you ever get to a good vintage show, check out a Brough Superior if they have one. There are so many little gadgets / widgets on those bikes it's crazy. Like a Swiss watch though with really great engineering. Vincent have a lot of that too.
Yeah...I love the look of vintage motorcycles !

Works of art.

race

Some more pics.

20230930_103046.jpg
The 'Show' area. You always see some Hodakas. Iconic bike for many of us. I had a 90 and then a 100 way back when.

20230930_103040.jpg

20230930_103041.jpg
That is one clean beautiful Indian.

20230930_103042.jpg
Gotta have a couple Rickman Metisse bikes at every show.

20230930_103043.jpg
A more straight-on side shot of the Terrot.

20230930_103045.jpg
The same Terrot seller had a trailer full of goodies including a BSA Bantam (two stroke) and a Francis & Barnett.

Last edited:
Some more pics.

View attachment 306604
The 'Show' area. You always see some Hodakas. Iconic bike for many of us. I had a 90 and then a 100 way back when.

View attachment 306599

View attachment 306600
That is one clean beautiful Indian.

View attachment 306601
Gotta have a couple Rickman Metisse bikes at every show.

View attachment 306605
A more straight-on side shot of the Terrot.

View attachment 306603
The same Terrot seller had a trailer full of goodies including a BSA Bantam (two stroke) and a Francis & Barnett.
Thanks for sharing. Great pics!

Great thread!!! I love the Van Tech with the Superflea gas tank. Sweet! Looks like a couple of Rickman/Metisse frames powered by Triumph engines. We used to call those Desert Sleds. Thanks for posting this thread. Definitely lots of eye candy.

had that mini mini bike there dual carb set up ! thank you dave miller !!! purple one on the wooden stand !!! it was a fun day !!! lets thank jason for putting on a great show !!! any one out there with a mickey thompson mickey bike for sale ??? please call jay at 714 308 6100 thank you