212cc predator NEED HELP

Okay, so I got a go kart frame and wanted a reliable cheap engine, power didn't mean much. So not knowin anything, I searched online for the cheapest engine about 5hp. Sooner or later I'm at harbor freight and I'm picking up a clone, with out knowing it.I know a little now which is 5000x more than I knew before.anyway I got home and put in gas, and pulled the cord, without oil! I didn't kno I had to add it. Now, I'm way more educated and have rebuilt car engines from scratch but don't kno much about small engines. So long story short put on the engine and drove the cart with a clutch and 24inch tires. Blew the clutch and was pissed. After research I found I can only have 14s:/ although I'm on a very low budget, I now want more performance. So I kno I want to back out the throttle stop and file the flywheels key for free power, but also I need step by step instructions on, drilling jets and filing the key, I'm very confused. I want to remove the governer but I'm very scared of the rod/flywheel coz I can't afford new ones

Whoooah killer...........Welcome to OldMiniBikes

I will try to help .......

First leave engine alone until you get the cart working properly ......

Gear ratio and tires are probably what killed the clutch....

One thing at a time.......a cart with tires that big will need

a: re-gearing (prob with a jackshaft...a shaft with gears and bearings) and it will be SLOW

b: or a torque converter/belt drive or TAV

If you want speed......start with a regular kart with 5 to 8 inch rims and small tires ...a 12 tooth clutch and a 60 or so tooth rear sprocket....(lower than 60 is faster top end but slower takeoff and less umph off the line...more teeth on rear will slow it down and make it more punchy but loose top speed and may hit the ground if you go to big)

I just put a Predator on this one and its balls out fun man....no engine mods......

Do you have a pic of the beast?......

Sorry Ikno, that was only half I just wanted to get started. But it's low on my list of things to do but I'm thinking I want a torq converter and same rims, the reason is I have. A 1inch live axel and keyway, a very odd setup and Im having trouble finding rims/tires. Also 200$ is too high for a torque. Converter but that seems the cheapest now, because I also need new front tires if I go with the clutch, I already have a jack shaft , and I know it's stupid and wrong but I want u to get the right info so my chain setup way a 12clutch to 16sproket to 12 sprocket to 72 drive

No prob Steve....... I too have a 1 inch live axle......

Azusa and others make rims.....

Rims are a bit pricey......sometimes.,....

Go Kart Rims and Mini Bike Rims

Go Kart & Mini Bike Parts | MFG Supply

You will need to make sure they are for a live axle....otherwise they may have bearings in the hub (fronts).

The jackshaft and gearing ...hmmm

I have a 12 tooth clutch going to a 60 or 62 and its rocking just fine....with smaller tires...

On the other hand my minibike is geared 12/72 with 16 inch tall tires and its running in the low 30's and has boatloads of low end and mid grunt and wheelie power....

You are geared even lower than my bike ...by means of the jack shaft.....but not enough for 24 inch tires!

Unless you ran a super low gear a clutch won't do ....it will kill it....

They (max-t) recommend a 1/6 ratio (6/1) with a max of 14 ish....tires

Fun Kart

Here is a 2/1 jackshaft

Reducers

Last edited:
Thank you again but I'm on a extremely low budget 150ish and its hard to explain but my engines embarrassing the way it's mounted,don't underestimate me but I'm 18 and it's a father &son thing, my father thinks he's very smart when in reality he isn't. Pretty much my engine is bolted to a plank of wood which is then liquid nailed to the platform and then screw from the bottom thru metal into wood

Just don't muck with the engine yet....... Its a fine engine and I love both of mine........

That way you can concentrate on the kart and KNOW your engine is ok......

removing the gov will only let you hit a rpm that will float and damage your valves and springs and possibly grenade the engine block or explode the flywheel ....destroying your leg and your engine....IT is ugly

Last edited:
Do u kno anyone or anywhere. I can get a cheap/used torq-a-verter or similar?
Ask here in the classifieds..........

There are cheaper (ebay comet knock offs) ones around $125 But I would be a bit concerned about the quality,,,,,,,

Comet gets $200 for a reason......it works and has worked for 20-40 years.....or more...They own this idea

Whoooah killer...........Welcome to OldMiniBikes

I will try to help .......

First leave engine alone until you get the cart working properly ......

Gear ratio and tires are probably what killed the clutch....

One thing at a time.......a cart with tires that big will need

a: re-gearing (prob with a jackshaft...a shaft with gears and bearings) and it will be SLOW

b: or a torque converter/belt drive or TAV

If you want speed......start with a regular kart with 5 to 8 inch rims and small tires ...a 12 tooth clutch and a 60 or so tooth rear sprocket....(lower than 60 is faster top end but slower takeoff and less umph off the line...more teeth on rear will slow it down and make it more punchy but loose top speed and may hit the ground if you go to big)

I just put a Predator on this one and its balls out fun man....no engine mods......

Do you have a pic of the beast?......
I just ordered one of these today (the November issue of Popular Mechanics has a Harbor Freight ad for $20 off this engine - let me know if you need the coupon code, its good till 2/13). My question is what clutch are you guys using with these motors?

Thanks!
ALR

Last edited:
The standard Max Torque, 12T, # 35 chain clutch is fine. The last time I looked, I remember that OldMiniBikes Warehouse was selling them for around $ 30.00. We have run them on our DB's with the original (blue) HF "Greyhound" clone and the HF "Predator" clone for quite a while w/o any problems.
Michael

The standard Max Torque, 12T, # 35 chain clutch is fine. The last time I looked, I remember that OldMiniBikes Warehouse was selling them for around $ 30.00. We have run them on our DB's with the original (blue) HF "Greyhound" clone and the HF "Predator" clone for quite a while w/o any problems.
Michael
Thanks Michael, if you dont mind a couple of other "Q's" - what about the throttle return - in the pics it looks like a Briggs lever type which are usually quite stiff, does that need to be modified or changed out for something else? Also I see in the reviews several people complaining about the muffler location, any issue? I wonder if there are some headers or pipes available for these:)

Thanks Again
Arnold