249.00 Doodlebugs at Northern (New Style)

Came home today and had an ad in the mail from Northern tool. New style Doodlebugs for 249. They also had a 20 dollar off coupon with the ad. Sale ends 12/18/10.

Picked up two of these for my kids Christmas presents. 7 year old daughter and 9 year old son. I hope they can have half as much fun as I did with my Rupp mini bike, back in the day. Now, it's time to unbox 'em and put them together. Any tips on the set up? :scooter:

I also picked up 2 of them today... my friend and I were riding them around, having a tough time getting them going. We messed with them for a while, tweaking things here n there. We opened the throttle stop all the way, then finally I put the choke "on/off" switch not quite all the way off. Just to the arrow. MANNNNNNNN we were in business. Clocked it on the gps up to 31.4mph stock out of the box. My heavier friend was getting 29mph. These little 2.5's move!!!!

Mr grimes ain't lie ing. I'm 225 and it hit 29mph on the gps. We thrashed them for an hour or so getting some sweet air jumping the ditch culverts. I'm pretty much sold on one of these puppies

Oldsalt

I also picked up 2 of them today... my friend and I were riding them around, having a tough time getting them going. We messed with them for a while, tweaking things here n there. We opened the throttle stop all the way, then finally I put the choke "on/off" switch not quite all the way off. Just to the arrow. MANNNNNNNN we were in business. Clocked it on the gps up to 31.4mph stock out of the box. My heavier friend was getting 29mph. These little 2.5's move!!!!
Your experience with lean carburation right out of the box confirms the past experience with these machines when the air is cold. The two DB 30s I ran across both had that problem.

Welcome to the site!:thumbsup:

If a stock 2.8 was actually able to get up to 3600RPMs with 11/70 gearing and a 15" tire it would only be capable of 25mph and some change according to the Rawges top speed calculator. A grown man over 200# would need 3 blocks to reach top speed given the anemia the engines suffer from. Dudleydoodleright has gotten more revs according to him but he's been at it for some time, I'm not calling anyone a liar but the math simply does'nt work. Mine goes 45 with an ungoverned 5.5 briggs intec and a 66 tooth sprocket, 43 with the 6.5 clone and a cheater spring. GPS is not as accurate as some might think. Just sayin!:thumbsup:

i also have a hard time believing those that say they're getting 30+ out of the 2.8 (unless they are on a long, slight decline). the math shows the number you can get. weight and drag aren't factored into those so you will generally see less, unless the bike has the power to do it. i was running 43mph with 12/70 gearing on the stock tire. this was with a modded 6.5 (around 11-12hp). that was spinning a bit over 6,000rpm and i was really pushing it. in my situation, i just didn't have enough gear because it would get up there quick.

Were you being pulled behind a car or something?

I've had a 5hp briggs in one as well and it would do 40 with some room but still a 66 tooth out back. Herbie the Love Bug had an "extra turn of speed" but no stock DB engine can achive a decent speed without a jackshaft no exceptions. The engine is fundamentally flawed and wont last without extensive and futile work IMO although I applaud Dudleydoodleright for trying. He has made some progress and is moving forward, he made a cool jackshaft and it's the basis for his success as his engine was spared the load which leads to it's demise every time. I've had four so I know the symtoms and they are the same. You lose power gradually and then the blow-by starts and then it is dead. From day one a jackshaft is a must if the rider is even 80# IMO my 7yo girl killed a brand new one in a short time and she's still around 50#. She does ride robustly and wide open even with the 37yo briggs 3hp in it now. It pulls me along and even from a stop it takes right off. An honest 3hp though and even being that old it goes like the devil with me and especially her on it. I recommend a 6.5 swap for an adult right away, if the stocker impresses you a clone will certainly impress you without a doubt!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
im 170lb and i get my stock 2.8 up 32mph flat ground in about half a block friend of mine was next to me in his car did it 4 times always at 30 to 32 but i am using 91 octane and royal purlpe oil if that does anything and the throttle screw spring almost out :scooter: and supernova what did u mean by the blow-by ?

Last edited:
im 170lb and i get my stock 2.8 up 32mph flat ground in about half a block friend of mine was next to me in his car did it 4 times always at 30 to 32 but i am using 91 octane and royal purlpe oil if that does anything and the throttle screw spring almost out :scooter: and supernova what did u mean by the blow-by ?
Do you have an older 66tooth sprocket? Because that's the only way a stock DB will achieve that speed. Two of mine do have the 66 tooth sprocket and the one with a 3hp briggs will do 30-35 ungoverned but my 6.5 cloned one with a 70 tooth sprocket will not break 30 without a cheater spring which allows for more revs. It gets to 30 really quickly but the gearing simply wont allow for more speed. The fact is an 11/70 geared stock 2.8 DB will not go that fast. Now a 66 tooth one will do 26.77 @ 3600 revs, getting closer but still not breaking 30. Go to Rawges mini chopper site and use the top speed calculator and you'll see the math working. It is the same for any size rider, just takes longer for bigger riders to reach the 3600RPMs. Again I'm not calling anyone a liar but the math dont lie.:thumbsup:

The blow-by is the oil that will start puking out the breather when it's near the end of it's short life. All four of the ones I've had did it, one was new and a 7yo girl rode it to death in a few months. Just not a good powerplant.

i have the new db so i dont know what sprocket it has lol learn something new :thumbsup: cool thanks supernova
Due to complaints of no take off power the later old style ones went to a 70 tooth which improved take off but killed top speed. I'm thinking the new ones would have a 70 tooth but I dont have one to count so I cant say for sure. But like I said the #s on a 66 tooth comes in under 30mph so that's about all they'd do. A 6.5 swap and a sprocket will allow for as much as you'd want top speed wise. A modded clone with the right sprocket and 100mph would be possible but I'm not gonna test that theory!

That would be a great price if I had a NT store near me, shipping would kill the deal for me. I was able to find a like new ( a 9.5 rating ) DB 30 for $160 :biggrin: on Craigslist ( he was asking $235 ).

My best friend bought his 14 year old son a 2010 DB30 for x-mas. He gave it to him last week since they will be out of town for the holidays, I put it together and did all the tweaking. After a good breaking in and a fresh oil change I clocked him doing 26mph with my truck and he laid off while he claims he had power to go. Anyway I cant clock myself but its definitely around 20 with me on it and I weigh 205#. My 2 cents on the speed topic. A side note is that I'm now addicted to mini bikes and am getting one next payday! I LOVE this site and I will deff be doing the 6.5 mod!

Last edited: