3hp briggs

bandit 40

I'm freshening up a 3HP and was needing to know if what was stated in another thread I read a while back about the 5hp engine ,can you use two of the heavier exhaust spring on the 3hp to prevent the valves from floating at high RPM's?? I realize its harder on the valve train and cam, but would this be a waste of time? And could this cause any other damage other than faster wear and flywheel or rod detonation? Thanks for your input. Mark:thumbsup:

125ccCrazy

Mark, the 5hp exh spring is taller than a 3hp, not sure once it's compressed to fit the 3hp if will be too much tension (lbs).... I was looking that idea too on my rebuild but I'm not sure...

Be sure to check that there is still space between the coils when the cam is on the high point of the lobe, otherwise you get what they call coil bind and that will damage your cam for sure good luck. :thumbsup:

bandit 40

Mark, the 5hp exh spring is taller than a 3hp, not sure once it's compressed to fit the 3hp if will be too much tension (lbs).... I was looking that idea too on my rebuild but I'm not sure...
Well what I was thinking was using two 3hp exhaust springs Randi, I was using the 5hp as an example. I don't think that would be to much tension , Im just gonna try what Junkcollector suggested :thumbsup:and install the cam and check for coil bind. This way it wont damage anything. I was just looking for different opinions, and seeing if anyone has ever done this. It cant hurt to do some test. Thanks to everyone:smile:

125ccCrazy

Well what I was thinking was using two 3hp exhaust springs Randi, I was using the 5hp as an example. I don't think that would be to much tension , Im just gonna try what Junkcollector suggested :thumbsup:and install the cam and check for coil bind. This way it wont damage anything. I was just looking for different opinions, and seeing if anyone has ever done this. It cant hurt to do some test. Thanks to everyone:smile:
on my 3hp engines both springs look the same, I only noticed the exh being bigger on the 5hp..

We run 5 hp springs on all of our 3 hp quarter midget motors. We run these with the plastic cam and have not had any problems with valve float or cam ware. Set valve lash at .004

bandit 40

What are you looking for the engine to do? If it's just a stock rebuild, use the recommended stock springs.
Well, My son runs this thing hard I know he is floating the valves, and I was concidering the heavier springs to eliminate this from happening , I realize this is harder ware on the cam, but im not concered about that, This was a rebuilt engine two summers ago and is still very strong, and I didnt think it was gonna really hurt a whole lot:thumbsup:

Last edited:
If you are running w/out the governor, it will rev higher with fresh springs. Don't keep it revved to the max for long. The rod probably won't be able to take it. Scott.

bandit 40

If you are running w/out the governor, it will rev higher with fresh springs. Don't keep it revved to the max for long. The rod probably won't be able to take it. Scott.
That would be cool if their was an aluminum rod for these engines ,:thumbsup: then it would get interesting, but If Im gonna spend the money on performance parts its not going to be on a 3hp. I told my son he will have to be careful so he dont lose his jewels from rod failure:thumbdown: